Chapter 16

Julian P.O.V.

I could barely make out the road ahead of me as we drove up to the woods. We decided to take several vehicles and drive up from different directions.

We were meeting a servant from the castle, who pleaded us to spare him for information. He stated he knew where Ro was and how to enter without being detected. I wasn't too sure if we could trust him, but it was our only lead.

The leader of section 52, Mateo reached behind his seat and pulled out a black bag.

"Here," he shot out in a gruff tone as he held out a handgun. "You're gonna need it kid."

"Thanks," I muttered back.

His second in command turned towards me and watched as I moved my fingers along the lines and shape of the gun.

"Ever used one before?", he asked.

"Not on someone."

I had been trained to fight and use weapons from a young age, but I had never wanted to use it against anyone. Heck, I still didn't want to.

The man leaned back in his seat and cleared his throat. "Well, be prepared to. We don't know if this servant is lying, we can't trust him. If he makes one wrong move... I'll blow his head clean off."

Mateo interjected and shut off the car. "Everyone get their guns and follow my lead."

We walked a quarter mile before we met up with the man. He was old and frail. His hands trembled as we got closer. His eyes showed he distrusted us just as much as we did him.

Mateo ordered his men to surround the man. His voice echoed in the wilderness when he asked,"You came alone, correct?"

The trembling man whimpered his reply, "Yes, sir."

My rage was boiling at this point and I walked towards the man and demanded Ro's location.

"She she's in the castle sir. She's a prisoner and guarded every second."

"By who?", I said practically growling.

"King Carlos. His son is her bodyguard."

"I'm losing my patience. Now tell me everything you know, and you may be spared!"

"Y-yess.. Sir the King planned to murder her immediately upon her arrival, but when he saw her he was quite well... taken with her... He plans to force her into marriage to destroy all planned revolts. If she is his wife he will have his way with her and dispose of her when he sees fit....Th- That is all I know, I promise.."

I can feel by body tense up more at each passing second, my breathing becomes rapid and uneven, my fists are clenching tighter, and I see is red.

I contain myself to not burst out yelling when I tell him, "If he so much as touches her that bastard will not live to see tomorrow. I wi-"

'AAUGH!'

Screams fill the air as the man falls to his knees. Blood pours from his mouth as he collapses in front of me. The gunshots ring clearly now.

Mateo screams,"FIRE NOW!"

Soldiers charge toward us and fire mercilessly at the men. Bodies fill the ground and blood covers our shoes. I turn towards a man running towards Mateo's second and without thinking, shoot.

The soldier falls flat on their back, dead.

We race to the cars while shooting behind us with the bullets we have left. A bullet crashes in the window, shattering it but missing us. Mateo braces us as he floors it. We hear the engines of cars behind us, gaining speed and getting closer.

"HURRY!", I scream.

"I AM!"

We make several sharp turns to try to lose them, but they're right behind us. There's only one option. The road is ending soon and the only way out is down.

We brace ourselves for the drop.

"GET READY TO JUMP!"

I kick the door out and push myself out of the car in mid air. 3..2..1... My body is propelled into the nearby bushes. Smoke radiates from the car crash and flames light up the darkness.

I crawl further away, grasping my burning side. It feels like I've broken several ribs, but I push away the pain.

I collapse on the ground when I can't move further.

I stiffen when I hear unfamiliar voices

"Is it taken care of?"

"Yes sir."

"No survivors.."

I breathe out in relief when they leave. I stare up at the smoke filled sky. In all the pain I am in, the thought of being the only survivor, and seeing my blood stained hands, all I can think about is Ro.

I let out a hushed prayer "God please keep her safe."