Chapter 10

Julian ran his fingers through his black hair and let out an exhausted sigh. He looked down at the files on his bed. He read the note one more time and felt the anger rise from within. He threw the files across the room and grabbed the nearest item, a lamp, and threw it against the wall. Upon impact, it instantly shattered. One piece flew past Julian's cheek and made a slight cut.

He quickly turned around startled by the door opening. His father walked in. He was a tall man with short brown hair and light brown eyes. He wore all black and kept a stern look. He looked at his son's cheek and handed him a tissue.

"You can't keep this up. You'll kill yourself from all the stress."

Julian wiped the blood off his cheek. "I can't stop. Dad I was supposed to protect her and I failed. I let them take her, and I was there." Tears started to form behind his eyes, but he blinked to prevent them from falling.

His dad placed a hand on his shoulder and said,"I know Julian. It's hard, but your not alone. We'll find her."

Maya knocked lightly on the door asking if she could come in. She entered slowly and cautiously. Her face instantly dropped when she saw the lamp on the floor and Eric's face.

"Julian! What- What happened? Are you okay??" Maya raced over to him.

Julian hugged her and tried to calm her down. "Maya I'm fine I just fell and got a bit you know frustrated."

Maya pulled away with a questioning look on her face. She knew he wasn't saying the complete truth, but didn't push the issue anymore.

"Okay. We'll be careful. Look at your cheek."

"It's not that bad, but thanks for being worried."

Maya laughed a bit and cleared her throat. "Well, you may be a bit annoying, but your my friend and I care about you. Have you..found anything?"

Julian's dad quickly cut in with a response. "Not yet, but hopefully we can soon."

"We need to file a missing person's report to find her. I'll go to the police department right now."

"No. No" Marcus nervously and quickly added, "I already have. You should go home and rest. I'll take care of Julian."

"Oh okay. We'll I'll see you soon then. Please keep me informed." She gave him one last hug before leaving the room.

"Dad how could you tell the police?" Julian's face showed betrayal. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. His father quickly turned to face him.
"Julian I didn't tell them. I had to lie. We also have to protect Maya. She can't know about any of this. Now come one we have to meet with the Castil's."

They raced down the stairs with the files in hand. It was now or never.

~~~~
They entered the Panaderia from the back door. Ro's grandma quickly shut the door and ushered them into the storage room. Ro's parents were already in there.

The entire room was silent and only one light was on. Ro's mother was violently crying into her hands. Her husband tried to console her, but with little result.

She finally managed to speak. "What is the plan Marcus?"

Julian's father walked forward with the note and placed it on the small folding table.  "This is from Carlos. We're sure of it. Ro..she..drew the symbol. Angelica -"

"How did she know?! How did they find her?! Who ...would.." She fell onto knees and let out agonizing cries. Her heart was breaking every second she didn't have her daughter. She rocked her head back and forth, until Julian and Ro's grandmother picked her up. They walked her to a chair and tried to soothe her.

Ro's grandmother whispered in her ear. "No temas mija. Todo estara bien. We will have her back very soon." Angelica nodded and went back to Marcus.

"Who will go?"

"Julian and I will go with the third sector. We leave tomorrow night. We should arrive there in three days."

Philip, Ro's father interjected,"How will you be able to get in. They have the borders patrolled 24/7. There is no way in. Let me go with you I coul-"

"No it's too dangerous. You don't know  the land or people." Angelica cradled his hands in hers and kissed them softly, as a tear rolled down her cheek.
"If you go I go."

Julian walked towards Angelica. "You can't. We can't risk your life too. Both of you must stay."

"I cannot leave my daughter alone and scared. I am going and that is final."

"Well is you two go there is no point in me staying here. I'm going too." Ro's grandmother held her arms in front of her and looked straight into the crowd. She stared into each and everyone of their eyes. She had always been a strong woman, and no one could say otherwise. Her past had made her who she was, and at the end of the day what she said was final. No arguing.

"I want my granddaughter back. She needs to know and no matter what we want she will find out. They are merciless. They have killed once. They WILL kill again." Her voice choked a little bit, but she continued strong. "If someone stays here alone, they will attack them. We all go, but we need a better strategy. We will stay in separate nearby towns, until we are ready."

She turned to Julian and placed her hand on his shoulder. "I know you won't stop until you go in and YOU get her out, and I won't stop you. That is what you were assigned and I know you will do it. Please stay safe and remember your training."

The room was silent. Even a heart beat could be heard pumping blood. Marcus rubbed his neck and whispered so cautiously and quietly, yet it gave everyone chills to hear it in such a silent room.

"So it's settled. We all leave tommorow."

Philip wrapped his arm around his wife and added,"May God be with us through it all."

~~~~~~~

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN
Writers block was such a pain during this chapter but it's done. There may be A LOT of mistakes, but I will try and fix them all in the morning.💜💜