Chapter 18

Luca P.O.V

Our guards found trespassers along the North border last night, in the woods. I couldn't believe they had actually gotten so close, but it was an inside job. Maurice had tried to make peace with them but ended up leading us straight to them.

I feel slight pity in a way. His daughter had been killed near the end of the war. He had never been the same I'd been told, but he dug his own grave.

Poor bastard had it coming. Nobody could go up against our kingdom and win.

I knew they would be back. They knew where Ro was and would stop at nothing to get her back.

Ro...

Her name sounded so beautiful. I couldn't let anything happen to her. Jeeeshhh I really am an idiot. I fell for the enemy, hard.

I scan the hallway to make sure no one is following me. I head up the large staircase in the West Wing and head to my father's office.

He had "taken care" of some of the servants who worked with Maurice after getting the news. My father was never a man of words, but of action. As time went on I felt my despise and putred hate constantly growing for that man.

Mercy and love was a weak link to him. He didnt show a single ounce of care for my late mother or me. How a beauty could love a beast I never knew...

I searched through endless files on the attacks, tactics; until I saw a file with the letters C.R. My father's initials.

If someone caught me I was dead, but my curiosity was taking control. My breathing became irregular as my heart pounded in my chest. I opened the file with shaking fingers, careful to be mindful of my surroundings.

The first paper contained a letter from my father to our chief commander of War.

Radcliff,
Ensure your men are armed, know the terrain, and tactics. I will not tolerate any mistakes. Any will be seen as irreversible and every man will be seen as the weak link and disposed of. If you so choose to go against my orders I will see to it personally that your family be stripped of their own breathes, by my own hands....

The coldness of the letter made me shiver, but I pushed past it and kept scanning the papers.

The next page had a picture of Ro with her age, height, weight, address, full name. Near the bottom was her mother's name, along with her grandmother with the same information. They all had the words target written on them.

Another picture was on the back showing a car crash from years ago. Newspaper pages were stapled to it. They announced the death of Madeline Castillanos de Rosa, and her unborn child. The crash was deemed an accident due to car malfunction.

I knew about the Queen, but never truly thought about that day, everything ended for her.

As I flipped the page another paper fell to the ground. I placed the file on the desk and picked up the sheet. I scanned through another letter my father had addressed to the masses. He announced a wedding to take place in just a few days.

I had not seen my father with a woman in a while. He always had girls for pleasure, but never settled down. I didnt understand why I wasn't told of a wedding.

I  read part of the letter out loud, "The wedding will take place this Friday promptly at noon........... blah blah blah......
The new queen will be crowned following the ceremony...... blah blah blah...I expect her to be greeted with all the respect she deserves..... Viva la Reina ...."

"Your majesty, Sir?"

Shoot.

I stash the letter into my pocket and hide the file. I make sure everything looks untouched.

Knock knock "Hello, your majesty. Are you in there?"

I hurry (as calmly as I can) and open the door, startling my father's butler Esteban in the process.

"Oh mi Di- Sir you scared me. Is your father with you?"

"No." I said shortly.

"Oh will he be back soon. It is almost lunch time. I know he hates it to be late."

"He had business to attend to. He may take all day. Don't worry I will let him know."

"Thank you sir."

He bowed and started to walk away, before turning back to ask, "Will Señorita Ro be joining you for lunch?"

I immediately tensed at the thought of her and cleared my throat, "uhh.. Yes of course."

"Very well Sir. Oh and don't worry I'm sure she will find you look very dashing today."

He gave me a wise smile and headed down the stairs.

Was I that obvious?