Chapter 27

Victoria

I took a seat at the picnic table in our backyard and waited for everybody else to sit down. Theodore slid into the seat next to me, E.J took the seat across from me and we were the only people out here. Deonte had called already to see if I was alright since he was up in Los Angeles with Mylene, Mama was inside getting the rest of the food and Daddy was AWOL.

The last time I saw him was the day of Deonte's graduation, which was three days ago when I got into the accident. Other than that he's been gone and it seems like I'm the only one who cares. Nobody else has bothered to mention him. I just hope him and Mama aren't arguing again. That arguing stuff is really starting to get old.

E.J leaned over the table. "I missed you Tori. You left me here with him," He glared at Theodore who really wasn't paying any attention.

I laughed. "I'm sorry E.J, I promise I won't leave you here with him again. He's annoying, isn't it?"

"Yes! He pushed my face in my breakfast this morning!" He said as he banged on the table out of frustration.

I looked down, trying to contain my laughter. "I'm sure he didn't mean it," I replied.

"I know he did. He was laughing when he saw all of the food on my face and I got oatmeal down my pants!"

I looked over and nudged Theodore who was laughing. "Stop laughing, that's not funny," I said as I cracked a smile even though I really wanted to laugh.

"I can't believe you're laughing!" E.J exclaimed. "You're supposed to be on my side, not his. We just kick him out of the house."

"I already tried kicking him out but you know he's Mama's favorite."

"No, Deonte's his favorite," He corrected me even though him and Deonte both were Mama's favorites.

"True, but he's gone and somebody needs to take his spot," I replied as I looked over at Theodore. 

"You're right," E.J mumbled as he looked towards the house.

I looked over at the doors while Mama walked out with a bowl of potato salad in her hands and a smile plastered on her face. She slid the door close and sat the bowl on the table once she made it over to us.

"How are you feeling baby?" She asked as she sat down next to E.J.

"Where's Daddy?" I really was in no type of mood to be talking to her. I just wanted to know where Daddy was at so he could distract her from talking to me. I appreciate her having this Welcome Home dinner for me this Sunday but I didn't want to be sitting at this table with her, or eating her food.

"He's out of town handling some business sweetie. C'mon everybody hold hands so we can bless the food."

I rolled my eyes as I reached across the table for E.J's hand and grabbed Theodore's. Why was she so holier than thou all of a sudden? I looked down and closed my eyes as she began blessing the food that she cooked for us.

"Dear Heavenly Father, we'd like to thank you for all the blessings you've given to our family, starting with Victoria surviving the accident. It's by the grace of God that she's still alive and sitting with us today, so thank you. We'd also like to thank you for letting us be able to wake up today and be fruitful on this beautiful day. Thank you for allowing us to be able to afford this food in front of us. Bless the people at this table and the hands that made this food. In Jesus' name, we pray," Mama preached.

"Amen," We all said as we dug into the food.

"So, how are you feeling?" Mama asked again while putting a spoonful of mac & cheese on her plate.