Chapter 33

Victoria

That last weekend was the worse way to end my summer vacation. Everybody at the house had been sad because of Granny dying, especially Mama. She's been so heartbroken. It makes me want to cry when I see her crying but she's been up in room a lot. Daddy always comes in to check on her but Granny's death is really getting to her, especially since she watched her die. So, all of us in the house have been trying to hold it together for Mama sake, even though it's been a pretty hard five days. I just hope I can get through this first day without thinking too much of Granny.

"I can't believe we back at this school shit again," Teddy told, me Hazel and Big Rob as he pulled up into the parking lot of the school.

"Man, I know," Big Rob complained. "Seem like we just got out."

"Right, but at least this is our last year," Hazel smiled.

I just kept my head against the window, taking in everything they were saying. Part of me was upset that the summer went by so slowly, but then another part of me really wanted to be back. I just couldn't stay up in that sad house any longer. The vibe around there is just too sad, and I hate seeing everybody so upset and in their feelings.

Teddy parked his car in the middle of the parking lot and we all climbed out. I threw my bag over my shoulder and began walking up to the building but Teddy grabbed a hold of my arm, pulling me back to him and the rest of the group.

"Hey, wait up Victoria," he said as he threw an arm over my shoulder. 

"Damn, you really tryna go up in that bitch?" Rob asked.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I'm just trying to get it over with."

"I feel you," Hazel said, pushing Teddy aside so we could link our arms together. "Now, if y'all don't mind, me and my girl are walking to our first class together. We'll see y'all at lunch."

"Mhmm, yeah y'all need ta take y'all asses ta class anyways. Especially you wit' yo' fine ass," Rob laughed as Hazel brushed past him.

"Whatever," Hazel waved him off.

Hazel and I walked up the steps to the school and walked into the almost empty building. Everybody who was everybody was still standing outside catching up from the summer but Hazel and I wanted to be the first people to class so we could get good seats. I mainly wanted to get in here early so I could get away from everybody else. I really wasn't in the mood for talking today. Thoughts of Granny were too prevalent in my mind.

We walked through the barren halls and up to the third floor to our AP Literature class. See, Hazel was smart, but I was smarter, that's why I was taking more AP classes than her. Honestly, we could be taking the same amount of classes if she didn't go to this school and if she had learned the same amount of material I had at Westwood.

Hazel pulled the door to the classroom open, and to my surprise Ms. Marshall was writing something down on the board.

"Ms. Marshall?" I asked as a slight smile grew on my face. There was nothing more exciting than having Ms. Marshall as my English teacher again, but I thought she just taught 11th grade English. "I thought you only taught 11th grade?"

She turned around from the board, smiling. "I just couldn't teach 11th graders for another year, Miss. McDonald. Hi Miss. King," She said to Hazel.

"Hey Miss. M," Hazel said as she sat down near the front of the classroom. "I'm so glad you're my teacher this year again."

"Me too, but you two watch the classroom. I need to go downstairs to the teacher's lounge. I'll be right back though."

Ms. Marshall put down the marker she was writing with and walked out of her classroom just as Hazel turned to me.