Chapter 39

Theodore

I stood in my bedroom in front of my mirror trying to fix my tie. Tonight was the biggest night a Senior could dream of. It was prom night and while Mama was in Victoria's room helping her squeeze into her dress, I was in my room trying to make sure my bow tie was straight.

"I hope you know you look ugly as hell."

I scrunched up my face at Deonte as I watched him walk into my room through my mirror. "Whatever. My shit straight?" I asked.

He tilted his head to the side, trying to get a good look at my tie but eventually shook his head. "Nah. Mama can fix it though."

"A'ight and you can exit my room while you at it man."

I grabbed my pimp hat and cane and walked out of my room so Mama could help me fix my tie. See, Rob, Hazel, Victoria and I all planned on matching somehow tonight. Victoria and Hazel both wore different dresses that were different colors but Rob and I had on the same suit, but with different accents to match our dates. But it was his idea to wear the white pimp hat with the black feather and bring a cane with us.

I pushed Victoria's bedroom door open and found her hunched over her vanity with Mama pulling something tightly together on her while Charmaine sat on the opposite side of the room with all of his hair stuff laid out.

"Uhm...y'all busy?" I asked.

Mama looked up at me and shook her head. "Not really. What's up?"

"I need your helping fixing my tie Mama. It's crooked."

"Alright, just give me a second baby. You gotta fat girlfriend that needs to wear a corset tonight."

I laughed but Victoria just shook her head. "I'm not fat. I can zip up my dress!" She exclaimed. 

"But your titties are spilling out of the top," Mama replied. Mama tied something in the middle of her back and turned her around. "Can you breath?"

"No," Victoria said.

"Good. Get your dress on so Charmaine can do your hair."

Victoria nodded her head and stepped into her big dress. I smiled when I saw her struggling to zip it up. She looked absolutely beautiful right now, even though she wasn't completely dressed.

Mama stood in front of me and fixed my tie with a smile on her face. "You excited for tonight?"

"Of course. What about you?"

She laughed. "I'm happy to see you guys going off," she said, stepping back to get a good look at my tie. "I hope you two win King and Queen. You two are cute enough for it."

I chuckled. "Yeah, but we got that Randy kid and Malaysia running against us. They like the biggest sleazes in the school, like everybody been wit' both of them. So, it ain't no telling how the vote is about to come out."

She smiled. "Well just hope that you two win."

"I will," I replied.

"Stand up so I can see how you look." I smiled and stood up so she could see if I looked good enough. Just when I thought she was going to smile she began crying, like always. "I just can't believe how much you've grown up. I can remember you running around the backyard with Victoria, now you two are talking about being Prom King and Queen. You look really handsome Theodore and don't let anybody tell you anything different."

I chuckled. "Thanks Mama. My date is lookin' kinda good too."

She smiled and wiped up a few of her tears as she looked over at Victoria who was getting her hair curled. "Yeah. My baby does look beautiful."