Chapter 32

Victoria

I stuffed my hands into the pockets of my jogging pants as I walked into the kitchen. It was August 28 and Teddy's birthday was on the first which was the Monday before we went back to school, so I kenw I was gonna have to do something early to celebrate.

It's been two weeks since I got the tattoo and I love it. I feel like I'm so much better connected with Theodore since we got it but the only problem is that I have to hide it around my parents. I've been lucky with keeping my hands away from them but I think Mama might be getting suspicious. I don't think Daddy is but Mama randomly grabbed my hand the other day but luckily I had makeup covering it up.

"Daddy I need your help," I said as I slid into the chair at the table that was across from him.

He looked up from the money he was counting. "What's going on?"

"If your 18th birthday was coming up, what wold you want to do?" I asked.

I don't know why but I was having so much trouble coming up with something to do for Teddy's birthday. Usually we'd just throw a party or something but since it's his eightteenth, he's got to go big and even bigger than his seventeenth birthday party.

"Shit," Daddy chuckled. "I'd take a couple of my friends and go on up to the strip club. This ain't for you is it?"

I shook my head. "No, of course not. So, that's the kind of stuff guys do? Like isn't that boring?"

He laughed. "No. Just listen to me and do it. It's for Theodore, isn't it?"

"Yeah, so he'd like that?" I asked, again.

"Yeah. Tell him to go on up to my club, but don't bring your ass up there," he said, sternly. "I bet not see you nowhere near the club."

"Trust me I don't want to go to a strip club. Is this Saturday night a good?"

"Yeah, any night is fine but Saturday is perfect," He replied.

"And his friends. There's three of them. One of them is already 18 but the other two are still 17, how can they get in?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "I can get something arranged," He said.

"Alright, thank you Daddy and you know my birthday is coming up too."

He shook his head. "I already know it is but we still gotta get through Theodore's, E.J's and Sincere's before yours even comes."

I rolled my eyes. "I know. I just didn't want you to forget."

He laughed as he looked up from his money. "I know you won't let me forget," he said as he pulled a fifty out of the stack of money. "Take that and go get something from the mall."

"I'll be lucky if I can get a pair of shoes with this."

"Man, y'all some ungrateful ass kids. I remember when I was broke we had to get an outfit off 10 dollars."

I rolled my eyes. "No you didn't," I replied. "Grandma said she made sure you had clothes. You were an only child Daddy, so it's not like you had to share."

He smacked his lips. "Whatever but fifty dollars can go a long way."

"If I want to buy something cheap."

"Maybe you should think about doing that sometime," he replied. "Damn. Me and your Mama are trying to save up."

I scrunched up my face. "Save up for what? Don't we have enough money?"

"Yeah, but we want to move."

"What? Why?" I asked, worried. I was in no position to be trying to move when I just started at Compton High! I didn't want to go to another school my Senior year. Things just wouldn't seem right without any of my friends.