Chapter 11: A New Frontier

A long and loud sigh broke the silence of a dark room.

It was 2 AM in the Midoriya household. Izuku while exhausted, wasn't able to sleep. It wasn't because of the stress of "increased physical contact" like the night after he agreed to his second date. When Tooru kissed him just hours earlier on the forehead, it signaled to him that he didn't need to worry about her rushing things. Had she opted for the alternative place to kiss, things might have been different, but she chose otherwise. It had felt good, and more of those wouldn't be so bad. No, what was keeping him up was how excited he was for the future. Midoriya compared it to the night before going to his first day of school at U.A. The anticipation of what was to come; it made him restless no matter how much he wanted to sleep.

Izuku now had a girlfriend. Not just a best friend, but something more. He still couldn't believe he went from being without a single friend before starting school to where he was now. Midoriya had fought hard to keep back tears many times today from the happiness he was feeling. Sometimes he couldn't, but they were tears of joy so he wasn't too bothered by it.

The thought of telling his friends didn't bother Izuku that much, which he found surprising at first. Perhaps he was changing for the better socially because of Tooru, as Ochako had said the other day. Sure Midoriya had some jitters, but he felt he could handle it. He was, however, glad no one had asked on the group chat about the events of Tooru's birthday today because he was too overwhelmed to deal with it at the moment. The green haired teen was willing to tell them in person on Monday though.

And speaking of Izuku telling people of his new girlfriend, revealing it to his mother was quite an experience. She was waiting at the door when her son got home, tea in hand. He had told her by text he was on his way home when he got on the train, so that explained how she was ready for his arrival. Inko had asked on the phone how it went, and her son replied he'd tell her when he got back.

As the younger Midoriya sat down on the sofa after he arrived, he looked at his mother's face, and it gave the impression of eagerness but also of turmoil. He figured that he should start at the beginning. Minus leaving out the details on Eraserhead's surprise visit, Izuku was sure not to leave anything out as he explained the events of the day. Inko knew about her son's trips to the beach to train during the time before he entered U.A., but she never heard about the specifics of what he did. As a cover for All Might, the teen explained that a local to the area had helped him move the trash via truck.

To learn of his feats and how it lead to Tooru confessing earlier than she had planned was overwhelming for the older Midoriya. Izuku knew his mom cried a lot, he was used to it, as it's what he did a lot as well. When she said that she fainted from dehydration from crying too much while watching the Hero Festival, he believed her. But that evening was a new a side of bawling he hadn't seen before from his mother. They were tears of joy. Sure the younger Midoriya had seen a few tears of happiness when his mom was getting him ready for his first day of hero school, and she had bawled extensively when he revealed he had obtained a quirk, though that was more concern than joy. The teen was used to seeing her cry out of sadness or worry. Like when he was told he was quirkless, or when he came home with bruises from bullying and more recently his injuries from using his quirk, or sometimes when the subject of his father came up. That was the norm. This time, however, he had to embrace his mom for quite some time for her to calm down after revealing the results of Tooru's confession. Inko was just so overjoyed for her son to find such positive companionship in such a short amount of time after attending the hero academy. After everything Izuku had to endure growing up, to have another person he could rely on finally, it was just a lot for the mother to take in.

After she had calmed down, Inko asked if her son would invite Tooru over once more sometime soon. The younger Midoriya was quick to say yes, he guessed she wanted to talk with Hagakure. The two females had only exchanged hellos, goodbyes, and two hugs up to this point. It made sense that his mother would want to interact with his new girlfriend. Izuku didn't want the next visit to be the last two, which was just them talking in his room. Sure he had enjoyed their chats, but this would be Tooru's third visit, and their relationship was now at a new level.