Chapter 30: Latin Rhythms

"Sorry for calling you on such short notice, but I wanted us to speak in private before the next week's TAC meeting," All Might stated as he poured himself some tea. As he returned to his seat, he continued with, "I didn't want to interrupt your date more than I already had yesterday."

"It's no problem Yagi-sensei," Midoriya responded with a slight bow of the head.

Izuku received a text during lunch from his idol asking to meet after school. Many thoughts ran through the boy's brain as to what was to be discussed. Did it concern his Air Force Gloves performance? Gentle Criminal? The conversation with Tooru during the festival? All seemed like a high possibility.

"Hagakure-san took everything well it seems," Toshinori said before taking a sip of his hot drink.

With a nod, Midoriya replied, "It surprised me too." He then thought, perhaps she is the subject for today's meeting.

Yagi exhaled before saying, "I told her on Saturday it would be best for you to say what happened. I revealed there had been an incident that you were able to stop, nothing more. From there, we chatted about other subjects."

Izuku gulped before asking, "Like what?"

"Sorry, but I intend to keep my promise of not telling you. Even if you are my successor."

Midoriya sighed but responded with, "I understand."

The former pro hero groaned as he scratched the back of his head. He then said, "Look, I won't be specific, but the rest of our talk was nothing complicated. That was our first one of one conversation since I revealed our secret during the summer. In the end, we also exchanged numbers. Okay?"

Izuku then recalled Tooru speaking privately with his mom during their first date as a couple. Perhaps what was discussed before was similar to now. It also made keeping a secret from his girlfriend nigh impossible, the boy thought. Though, in the end, that was for the better. Midoriya didn't want another fallout like their first day at the dorms.

"That's enough to put me at ease. Thanks."

"Good, now with that out of the way, let's get to the point I brought you here," Toshinori stated as he reached into a pocket in his suit. He then placed two pictures onto the coffee table between them.

One was of Gentle Criminal.

The other Stain.

"Vigilantism. Taking one's justice into their own hands, outside the rules of our current hero system. To some, they are just villains of a different name, and to others, relics of the past. What I want to know is your thoughts on such individuals," All Might explained in a heavy tone.

Izuku didn't know what to say. He hadn't thought too deeply on the subject. There was also the fact that All Might had considered Stain a vigilante. Wasn't he always considered a villain due to his murders? Or was there something about Stain's past that Yagi knew that Midoriya didn't?

All Might noticed the confusion on his student's face and crossed his arms as he said, "Your run-in with both of these individuals had me sit down and reflect on the past and current state of vigilantism. During my time as the Hero of Peace, their numbers certainly fell going from the police and media accounts I witnessed and acquired over the years. Whether this was because of me, or just the general decay of such ideals, I don't have definitive proof. Either way, their actions and how the people viewed them have never really changed."

Toshinori then leaned forward as he continued, "If you recall, we discussed doing things differently from me. Not only to have your own identity but to also be a better hero of peace than I was. I know this is very preliminary, considering you are still early into the hero course, but if given a chance, would you do something about vigilantism? I wanted to know your thoughts on such individuals as it might be something we could strive for or not."