Chapter 16: In The Open, With Her

Pain.

Physical pain.

Self-induced physical pain.

This time, however, Izuku was waiting for his girlfriend to comfort him.

It was Thursday. The summer school trip had been cut short. Again, the League of Villains had put a stop to their hero training and threatened their lives. But at the moment all Izuku could do was worry about Katsuki to think about anything else that had happened that day.

Bakugo was gone.

Katsuki had been kidnapped by the combined efforts of the villains. They almost got Fumikage too if it hadn't been for the last second save by Yuga's navel laser and Mezo's desperate grab of him. Izuku too tried to save his former friend but his injuries got the best of him, and he wasn't able to make it. Todoroki and Shoji who ran ahead, also failed to grab the second marble before it along with the rest of the villains were teleported away by the shadowy warp user from the last villain invasion.

Where was Bakugo now? Was he even alive? And if he was, was he being tortured? Were they trying to convert him? Or did All for One just want his quirk? These were Midoriya thoughts as he dreamed.

Not long ago did Izuku finally wake up. As he had tried to get his bearings the door opened and almost all of class 1A had come to visit. Midoriya's classmates were in his room about half an hour to see how he was doing. After they left, Tokoyami stayed behind and asked if Midoriya wanted him to bring over Hagakure once his checkup with the doctor was over. He, of course, said yes and had been waiting in silence for her arrival ever since the doctors and nurses left.

Tenya had told Izuku earlier that Tooru had been coming every day to watch over those that were injured. Tsuyu and Kyoka had been knocked out by a poisonous gas quirk user. Class 1A got lucky with the gas, as about half of class 1B had been affected by it. Either way, Asui was awake while Jiro was not currently. Tsuyu explained that she had only gotten a whiff of the gas, unlike Kyoka who she rescued by pulling her out of the poisonous fog. She had recovered by late Tuesday and left the hospital yesterday morning. Tenya also mentioned Momo had received a nasty head wound from a Nomu and had only woken up yesterday.

As Izuku waited he felt extremely anxious. After hearing of his current condition from the doctor, he felt he needed to speak with Tooru right away about it.

Thankfully his wish was granted when the door suddenly was opened by Hagakure with Tokoyami behind her. At first, she ran towards her boyfriend, but she stopped just short of his bed.

"Sorry, I almost tackle hugged you there, but I forgot how much pain you are in Izuku. I'm just so happy to see you're fully awake," Tooru said, in a mix of happiness and sadness.

Midoriya got up slowly and started to scoot himself off the bed. As he did this, Hagakure said, "Whoa, now take it easy you are still recovering." Once at the side of the bed he slowly stood up and then hugged his girlfriend. Still, in a worried tone, she stated, "Izuku, doesn't this hurt?"

"It does, a bit, but I really need this right now," Izuku said as he tightened his grip on the invisible girl. He then felt her gently return in the embrace, probably as to not further cause him harm, the boy thought.

After a few moments, a cough from Fumikage, which startled the two, and he then said, "Well I'll make my leave now. Don't do anything rash Midoriya-kun. Just focus on getting better."

The couple noticed Tokoyami's change in addressing Midoriya. The boy thought, did Mezo tell Fumikage about his drive to save the out of control hero despite wanting to save Katsuki as well.