Chapter 23: A Tragic End and Moving On

"And for sure, you're okay?"

"Yeah," Izuku stated. He paused a bit before saying, "I'm feeling a lot better now that I have told you and mom about it."

A few moments passed before he heard his girlfriend's voice over the phone again say, "Any idea when you'll be back?"

Midoriya had no idea. He had no injuries, but the others did. Recovery Girl was there, but he didn't know if any had been questioned by the police yet as he, Asui, and Uraraka had.

"Hopefully not too long," Izuku stated with a sigh. He then exhaled before saying, "I miss you."

He heard a sniff before Tooru's voice over the phone said, "I do too. Just give me updates when you can, okay?"

"I promise," Midoriya replied with confidence.

The two said their goodbyes and Izuku put the phone down on a nightstand to his side. He then exhaled loudly as he laid out on his makeshift bed.

"You must be exhausted," All Might stated. He was across the room, sitting on a chair by the door. The skeleton of a man then got up and retrieved his pupil's phone and pocketed it. He then said, "Sorry I had to be here to eavesdrop on your calls."

Izuku looked over at his mentor and shook his head as he said, "No it's fine. If you weren't here, I wouldn't have been able to make the phone calls at all. So thanks."

Midoriya wanted to tell his mom and Hagakure right away what happened, but the police had confiscated his phone to keep the information of the raid on lockdown until the media had time to report it. All Might was at the scene at the time and gave the idea he would monitor the boy's calls to make sure he didn't say anything out of line. The officer had no reason to argue with the former number one hero of Japan and agreed. Toshinori, however, let his student explain everything to his loved ones, he figured that the news would break soon anyhow and the girls were in no way gossipy on such a serious matter.

Izuku first called his mom, who was hysterical but happy that her boy had received no injuries. Tooru while saddened at the worst of the news, was just glad the operation was a success and her boyfriend and classmates would be back soon.

All Might gave a bow as he said, "No I should be thanking you. Without drawing out the full power of One for All, things might have ended much worse today."

This prompted Midoriya to quickly get up and say, "But sir you don't have to-.

Yagi quickly brought up his head and interrupted by saying, "No buts. It's the truth. Now lay back down and get some rest. You deserve it."

The boy stared back at his mentor's eyes for a few moments. They looked serious and stern, but they were still a bit red from the tears he shed earlier. Izuku's eyes were the same. Probably a bit redder he guessed. Regardless Midoriya nodded before laying back down.

"Good. Now get some sleep and hopefully we can get you and your classmates back to school tomorrow," All Might said as he walked towards the door. He then turned off the light before exiting the room.

Izuku pulled the covers over himself and tried to not dwell on the events that had transpired today.

But it was not to be.

Not even an hour into his slumber was Midoriya awoken to some detectives wanting to ask questions. He had already spoken to Detective Tsukauchi earlier and was confused as to why he was being bothered once more. The officers explained they were from the local precinct and needed their questions answered.

To recall what happened a second time wasn't pleasant for Izuku.

It was Friday, late in September and he and others were recovering from the raid on Overhaul's base of operations.