Chapter 15: In the Open

It was a hot summer Thursday afternoon in the busy part of a shopping district.

Izuku was making his way through the crowds of people getting ready for the summer break. The final exams were over, and he was ecstatic that Tooru and everyone else in his class had passed the written portion. However, Mina, Denki, Rikido, Eijiro, and Hanta had failed the practical part. But once again their homeroom teacher had played his class like a fiddle. Everyone was going to the summer school trip regardless of the results; he just wanted his students to push themselves beyond their limits. Of course, there still was a catch. Those that did fail were still going to have remedial lessons during the trip. Midoriya knew that for his five classmates would loathe the extra schooling, but at least they would still be going on the trip.

So why was Izuku out shopping?

Aizawa had given his students a packing list, a huge one. Hagakure suggested to the class to use their day off on Thursday to go shopping as a class to get everything. Almost everyone was up for the idea except for three students. Bakugo didn't want to go because well, he is Bakugo. Todoroki couldn't go cause normally he visited someone on Thursdays. And finally, there was Koda, which Midoriya later found out the large teen had told Ojiro he didn't like being in large crowds.

Izuku had left early, as he hoped to catch Tooru before the rest of the students came. Knowing her, she would want to be there first since it was her idea. And when he arrived at the meeting place he was happy to learn he was correct. Sitting on a stone bench was none other than Midoriya's girlfriend. She was wearing a white t-shirt with no sleeves that had dark blue stripes going horizontally and short jeans. Hagakure also had on white snap bracelets and looked to be happily swinging her feet judging from the up and down motions of her shoes.

"Morning Tooru," Izuku said cheerfully as he approached the invisible girl.

Tooru's body turned towards him and she said, "Hey there Izuku! You're here early."

"Same can be said for you," Midoriya said with a shrug.

Hagakure argued, "Well, I planned the event. I should be the first one here! So what's your excuse?"

"I just wanted to talk with you. And I guessed you'd be here early, so I came early too," the green haired boy explained with a soft smile.

Tooru tilted her body slightly before asking, "Why? We chatted for a long time on the phone on Tuesday. Is there something you forgot to mention?"

There was something.

Tuesday was the practical portion of the exam. After school, the two had a long phone conversation about how they did. It was the first time they had a voice conversation on the phone, everything up to that point had been through text between the two. It wasn't Izuku's first time on the phone with a girl, as Ochako had called him after his fight with Stain to ask if everything was alright. She found the boy's method to call for help by just pinging his location as odd, and after she found out what had happened, apologized that she understand it's meaning. Midoriya guessed that from there Uraraka contacted Ida to try and comfort him. Talking to her before had helped him feel more comfortable talking to his girlfriend this time over the phone.

Either way, while the two talked about the exams there was something else that he wanted to discuss. After dinner with Tooru's parents on Sunday, she seemed off during his departure. She didn't seem like her cheery usual self. Hagakure also only hugged him as he left. Lately, she had been sneaking him kisses as they parted. Was it wrong to assume for him to recieve a kiss? He wouldn't have questioned it if it was such a short hug. But during their chat on the phone everything seemed normal, and because of this Midoriya just put the thought in the back of his mind. But now that enough time had passed and that he had another opportunity to speak to her face to face, he felt compelled to ask about it.