A Fort For Comfort

"Can I kiss you?", Dally questioned.
My laughing started to die out.
"What?"
"Can I kiss you?", he repeated.
I was silent.
"Is that a maybe?", he asked.
I smirked and put my hands on his neck. My face got close to his, but the front door opened wide and a yelling Soda and Steve walked in. Dally pulled the door shut and we both went and hid in the shower.
"You were laughing at me five seconds ago because of this!", Dally whispered.
I hit his arm to shut him up. A few seconds later Ponyboy and Johnny's voices came along.
     "I think we would've had better luck if we just stayed outside.", Dally said.
     "Darry would've killed us!", I whispered.
      Someone suddenly opened the door. We both jumped and lowered ourselves. I saw the shadow of the person through the shower curtain. They took their shirt off. They were getting in the shower. I jumped out. It was Soda.
      "Don't take your pants off!", I whispered.
      Soda screamed and fell to the floor.
      "Are you okay?", Pony called from outside.
      I signaled for him to quiet down.
      "Uh...yeah. I'm fine. There was a...rat.", he yelled back.
      "Okay...", Steve laughed.
      "What are you doing!?", Soda whispered yelled.
      "You're understanding right?", I asked.
      "Depends. First can you explain why my twin sister just hopped out of a shower?"
     "Okay...so-"
     "Wait let me explain.", Dally climbed out from the shower.
     "Care to explain that!", Soda said.
     "Hey, Dal. I got this.", I reasoned.
     Soda grabbed his shirt and put it back on.
     "So I was washing the dishes and then Dally and me got into a soap fight and...when we went to clean the soap off of us, you guys came in.", I lied.
      "And that's why you hid. Instead of coming out and explaining that you were just playing with soap?", he asked.
       "...Yes.", I mumbled. He sighed.
       "Can I take a shower now?"
       "Yeah.", Dallas grabbed my shoulder and we walked out of the bathroom.
        Luckily the guys didn't see us and we ran out the back door. After we escaped, we couldn't help but start laughing.
       "I can't believe you jumped out!", Dallas said.
       "What was I supposed to do?", I questioned.
       We sat down in the yard next to the backdoor steps. He grabbed my hand and looked at my arm.
      "Hey look.", he showed me my arm.
      "It's not all burned anymore.", I said lightly.
      He glanced up at me.
      "What?", I asked.
      "...You're so beautiful. Everything about you.", he said.
      "Why are you telling me this?", I questioned.
      "I don't know. I really want to kiss you.", Dally answered.
      "What's stopping you?"
      He leaned in and I expected someone to run through the back door. I expected the guys to flood the backyard playing football. But no one showed, no one came out of the door. He kissed me and I kissed him back. And nobody interrupted us. It was like the world disappeared behind that door. It was Dallas, me, the yard, and the trees. That was all. There was no Darry, Soda, Ponyboy, Two-Bit, Steve, or Johnny. There was just a reminding linger of them in the back of my mind. I pulled away slowly.
         "It actually happened this time.", he laughed.
         I laughed too, then kissed him again.
________
         I walked upstairs into my room. To my surprise, Ponyboy was sitting at the desk reading a book.
        "Hey Pone.", I said sitting next to him.
        He replied with a small hum and a nod.
         "Oh god. You're not ready for the moody teenager faze, yet. At least wait another year."
        Usually he would laugh at that kinda joke. But he stayed silent.
        "Hey.", I pulled over a chair and sat down next to him, "What's wrong?"
        "Nothing.", he muttered.
        "Listen, Ponyboy Curtis. I'm not an idiot, I've been raised with you for a whole 14 years. When you say that kinda 'nothing', it's always something.", I said.
         "I'm breaking up with Cherry tomorrow."
        "What'd she do?", I asked.
        "Well it's not only her I'm mad at."
        "Who else?"
        "Johnny. Before he left he told me that him and Cherry kissed last night. He said that she kissed him first, but what makes me mad is that he didn't push her away.", he reasoned.
      I sat up and put the bookmark in his book and closed it, then put it in the shelf. I held my hand out to him and he stood up. I hugged him and let him bury his head into my shoulder while I lightly stroked his back.
     "I don't think Johnny would do that to you. He's been your best friend for years. Maybe he was just shocked, he never would've thought that you would date a cheater.", I comforted.
     He sighed and hugged me a little tighter.
     "Do you wanna make a fort?", I asked.
     I felt his smile on my shoulder.
      "Yeah."
      Ponyboy went downstairs to all the hollering boys and took as many blankets as he could. I grabbed our chairs and put them next to the bed. I stacked some books on the chairs to make them higher and grabbed a flashlight. Ponyboy came in completely covered in blankets. I laughed at him and helped spread them above the bed. I stapled the blankets that weren't long enough to each other and put them towards my side. By the time we were done the fort looked kind of like a mess, but it was still home-like. We both crawled under and laid down on the bed.
      "Can I tell you something?", Ponyboy questioned.
      "Of course. You can tell me anything.", I consulted.
      "Well. I know I can tell you this. But I don't know how you'll take it. I know Darry won't be happy, maybe even Soda won't be happy. The gang will hate me if I tell them this."
        I could tell he was upset. He wasn't crying, but he was close.
      "I'll never hate you for anything. There is nothing in this world you could say or do that would ever make me leave. Maybe I'll get a little angry, but I will never ever hate you.", I said. He took a long pause.
      "Are you sure?"
      "I'm 100% positive. 100% Ponyboy.", I explained.
      He sighed.
      "I think I like girls...and boys."