Caught

"Hey.", Ponyboy said.
       "Hi.", I responded.
       "When did this start happening?"
       "Last month.", Dally said.
       "A month? That's the best you could do without anyone finding out?", Johnny asked.
       "Well not everyone knows.", I said.
       "Who does?"
       "Two-Bit.", Dally answered.
       "And you guys.", I continued.
      Ponyboy took a deep breath.
       "Soda's coming. Once Soda comes Dallas can leave, and Y/N can go to work.".
        Darry was still asleep, thank god. Even if he was just closing his eyes he would've figured out what was happening by us talking.
        Johnny and Dallas left to get food from the vending machine, leaving me and Ponyboy alone in the room. We sat down in two chairs by the wall of the room. It was silent for a moment.
        "How was school?", I asked.
        "Are you and Dallas dating?", he asked, ignoring my question.
        "Yeah. But we're not boyfriend and girlfriend."
        "Everyone's calling you Dally's girl at school.", he said.
         "You already knew?"
         "I didn't know it was true. People were calling you names so I yelled at them. They don't like the fact that your with him.", he said.
         "Are you okay with it?"
         "I don't know."
         "What do you mean?"
         "I don't think dating him is a good idea. There's so much that could happen. He's Dallas Winston, Y/N. Every guy is gonna try to be better than him and use you to get their way up. Girls are gonna try to fight you. And all that for one guy that'll break your heart in the end anyways.", he explained.
          Break my heart? I looked over at Darry. His breathing was steady and he was still laid on his back lightly snoring. I realized how long it was since he'd gotten sleep like that. It had all been because of us. Not just Ponyboy, Soda, and me, but all of the guys. The best I could do was not trouble him anymore than he already is.
          "That might not happen though. The last girl he was with that he actually wanted to go far with was Sylvia, and she ended up cheating on him. You're not a bad person like her. He chose right with you, but he's never chosen right before, and I don't think he'll know what to do.", he further explained.
           I still didn't say anything. I didn't say anything because he was right. Dallas isn't  meant for a relationship, he's meant for fighting people, and stealing, and making risks. And a girl will wander into his life, and he'll realize that he's too busy for someone else. He's one of those people that has to do everything alone. Maybe he'll have fun with someone else, but it won't last long. That's who Dallas Winston was, that's who he'll always be.
          Soda walked into the room. We both looked up at him in the doorway. He took off his DX hat and threw it on the chair next to the bed. He noticed us staring at him quietly.
         "What's happening?", he questioned.
        "I have to go to work.", I said, getting up from my seat.
        I waved to both of them and walked out of the hospital. Darry's car was where I left it in the parking lot. I got inside and laid my head down on the wheel so I could mentally relax. After a few minutes, I started driving to work. The streets were nearly empty, but they usually were. I got to work in 15 minutes or so. When I got out of the car I locked the doors and walked in through the back. Gloria was standing near the sink doing dishes.
           "Hey, Gloria.", I said.
          "Hey Y/N. I washed your uniform last night and it's over near the bathroom."
           "Oh, thank you.", I said.
         I walked over to the bathroom and saw it hanging up on the wall. It was a light blue dress with a white collar, white cuffed sleeves, and a white ribbon around the waist. A typical waitress outfit. I unhooked it from the rack and walked into the bathroom to change into it. Once I had gotten changed, I walked back outside and threw my shirt and pants into the back of the car. Gloria was washing her hands in the sink when I walked back inside.
          "How do I look?", I asked.
         "Just like I did when I started here."
         "...Oh no.", I said jokingly.
         She laughed and lightly hit my arm.
         I started working and noticed, again, how boring it was during the afternoon. Basic drinks, businessmen or middle-aged old friends catching up, too quiet for bar. Eventually my break came up and I went into the back.
        All I could think about was Darry. The seizure, Dallas, and how hard he was trying for all of us. I thought about how I let him down. I was letting myself down, too. I should've never gotten involved with Dallas like that, because I now I liked him. Now I wanted to love him, and for him to love me back. He'd never love, and it was more like a fantasy in my head that we'd ever be anything more. I wasn't Dallas Winston's girl, I was Y/N Curtis. I just happened to want to live forever with someone who'd probably be dead next year. Gloria tapped my shoulder. I snapped out of my trance and looked over to her.
         "Hey.", I muttered.
         "You got something on your mind, kiddo?", she asked.
         "Nope.", I said getting up from my spot, "I'm daydreaming I guess."
        She nodded, but she still made a face that showed she didn't believe me entirely. I walked out into the bar and continued working, even though I had a few more minutes of break. Working kept things off of my mind. When all I concentrated on was working I was quick. I got a lot of tips that night for being quick. I didn't even realize that everyone from last night came in. Everyone had left, and the bar was closing.
        "Are you sure you're okay?", Gloria questioned once again.
       "I'm just stressed a little, I guess.", I responded. She walked around to the other side of the bar and sat down on one of the bar stools.
        "Tell me all about it.", she said. I sighed.
        "Last night my brother had a seizure, we took him to the hospital and let him get some sleep. He should be home when I get home though."
       "If he'll be home when you get home, why are you so stressed out."
       "He had this seizure because he was losing sleep due to stress. I don't want to make him more stressed with-", I stopped myself.
        She darted her eyebrows. "With what?"
       "...There's this boy. I don't know what we are. We went on one date and it didn't end very well. But, the time we spend together is the most fun I have these days.", I explained.
        "So what's the issue?", she interrogated.
      "My brothers don't like him. Well, they like him. They don't like him with me. Their one wish is for me to be safe, and not to hang around dangerous people."
       "And this boy is dangerous?"
       "Very. Everyone in the town either hates him or is afraid of him."
       "Do what's best for you. Not for your brothers or this boy, do what's best for you.", she advised.
       "Okay. I'll see you tomorrow."
       "I have some dinner for you."
       "I'll eat at home. Thanks Gloria."
       "Have a good night sweetheart!", she called.
        "You too!"
        I walked over to the car and Dally was standing by the passenger door.
        "Hey."
        "Hi."