The Curtis Family

"I think I like girls...and boys."
It fell silent for a moment.
"I'm not mad. At you at least.", I said.
"Who are you mad at?", he asked.
"Myself. I'm mad at myself because I made you feel as if I'd hate you when you bring home a boy and say they're your boyfriend. I want you to be able to do that.", I answered.
"And if I did?"
"I'd be completely cool with it. And anyone else in the gang who isn't eventually will, because no one, no one, could ever hate you for being yourself. Especially the gang.", I explained.
He smiled and fidgeted with his fingers. I hugged him closely to me and waited until he hugged me back.
"I love you, Ponyboy.", I whispered.
"I love you too, Y/N."
When we broke the hug and turned the flashlight off and we laid down on the bed wrapped in the covers.
"How many days till Christmas?", he asked.
"Two weeks. I think."
"That's too long."
"At least Christmas music is playing, now.", I smiled.
"It is!?", he jumped up.
"Yeah. Here", I leaned off the bed towards the desk. "I have that Christmas vinyl mom and dad gave me 4 years ago." I grabbed it off the desk and put it on the vinyl player.
"Do you remember how to put it on there?", he asked.
"I think so."
The record screeched and I took the needle off. Ponyboy laughed and came out of bed to help me.
"I think you just..." He put the needle back on the vinyl and the music started playing.
"Oh wow. Nice job."
We laid back down on the bed and looked up at the messy fort we made together.
"It'll be hard this Christmas. Y'know. Without mom and dad.", Ponyboy said.
"Yeah. It will be. But hey, at least we have each other. And I promise that none of us are leaving anytime soon. Okay?", I assured.
"Yeah. I still miss them though."
"Me, too."
"They'll miss Soda and you's 18th birthday. And they'll miss it when Darry gets this new job. They'll miss when I have my first prom."
"They will. But I won't. The gang won't. Soda and Darry won't. We lost our parents Ponyboy. Who ever said we lost our family?", I questioned.
He was crying now. I brushed his hair away from his face and stroked the tears off his cheek.
"It's not that late, yet. Do you wanna open the window and watch the sunset?"
"No.", he replied.
I was confused. Never once had he ever rejected the sunset.
"Mom and dad love us. And they are still with us. Even if they aren't here, they'll always be watching over us making sure we're okay. Please, watch the sunset with me.", I said, crying now, too.
Darry walked in to check up on us and noticed us crying.
"What happened?", he asked.
I wiped my tears. "We just miss mom and dad."
"Me too.", he said sitting on the edge of the bed.
"Watch the sunset with us, Dar.", Ponyboy said. I turned my head to him and smiled.
"Okay. Soda!", he yelled down the stairs.
Soda came up the stairs with a plate of chocolate cake.
"What happened.", he questioned, some cake falling out of his mouth.
"Wanna watch the sunset with us?", I asked.
He put his cake down on the table outside our room and sat down next to Darry on the bed.
We moved up to the window together huddled in blankets. The sunset was a large pastel illustration. The sky towards the horizon was light blue, then purple, then pink, then orange. Yellow and cotton candy colored clouds were stretched across the sky.
I laid my head on Soda's shoulder and he laid his head on mine. I noticed Ponyboy had his arms around Darry's torso and Darry kissed his forehead. I smiled really wide this time. They'd always been arguing, and now, they were just hugging each other. They were being loving brothers. I wrapped my arm around Darry and brought him and Pony closer to Soda and me.
Soon, the night fell onto the sky and the sunset was gone. Ponyboy and Darry switched spots so he could have a better view of the sunset. He was beside me now, fast asleep on my shoulder. Soda was asleep on my other shoulder, and Darry was awake with me. I looked over at him.
"Should we tuck these little kids in?", I questioned.
He laughed. "Yeah. I got Soda."
He woke Soda up and he let out big groan and carried himself into his room. I shook Ponyboy awake. He woke up with bed-head and a slobber trail down the side of his mouth. I put my sleeve over my thumb and wiped it off.
"We need to get into bed, Pony.", I said.
He nodded his head and we both made our ways over to the bed. As soon as he hit the bed sheet he was fast asleep. I adjusted the blankets on our fort and took one that we didn't use to cover Ponyboy up. He grabbed onto it like when he was a baby and put it almost over his head. I laid down next to him and grabbed the usual blanket we would use the sleep over me. I was tired and it was cold, I needed as much blanket as I could get. A few minutes later, Soda and Darry walked into the room with an air mattress and many more blankets.
"Can we join the fort. We'll expand it.", Darry asked. I climbed out of bed.
"Yeah. I'll help you."
I grabbed chairs from the kitchen to hold up the blankets and, like I did before, separated the small blankets then stapled them. Darry sighed when I stapled them together.
"I know. I'm ripping the fabric I know.", I whispered.
He quietly laughed and we continued to finish the fort. After we finished it it look more like a blanket covered circus. We all climbed in and I went back next to Ponyboy.
Soda and Darry laid down on the air mattress that was behind the bed.
I don't think I'd ever gotten I better night of sleep.