A Not-So Fresh Start

Darry promised to drive Ponyboy and me to school the first day I went back. We were especially happy because of how cold it was that morning. The drive was quiet, probably because Ponyboy was tired, I was thinking, and Darry was remembering how to get to the school. Once we got out of the car I looked over to the diner, it was just opening.
I walked into the school doors with Ponyboy and we branched off to our different lockers at the different sides of the school. I walked over to my locker and opened it up. It was the same as when I left it. I shoved all my unneeded stuff in there. The lockers were a navy blue color, but it was very faded from the years. The floors were marbled, tan, and slippery. It was early in the day, and this time of day you couldn't hear your own thoughts over the screaming of over-cologned teenaged boys and makeup lathered teenaged girls. This truly was the worst place on Earth.
"Greasy girl is back!", someone yelled behind me.
I rolled my eyes and shut my locker. I kept my cigarettes in my pocket so when lunch came around I would go into the bathroom and smoke one. I walked into first period early so I could talk to the teacher about my missed assignments. She gave me a folder filled with papers to do.
"If you get those to me by Monday you'll get full credit.", she said.
"Okay.", I replied.
The folder wasn't too thick. It was about 12 papers. Then I moved on to my second period class, the teacher was writing in a textbook marking down things. I knocked on the side of the door and he gave me another folder. Eventually I had made my way threw every class and had about 6 folders, all due by Monday. Luckily they made it so I would make up all the tests on Wednesday and catch up on notes Monday threw Tuesday. I had lots of work to do over a short amount of time.
The day was a day where you would look at the clock in hopes that it would strike the time for next period, and repeat the process all over again. Some people welcomed me back, some asked how I was doing, some yelled at me, and some just stared at me. I wrote down as fast as I could so I could start on the folders. I finished the folder for first period, and one paper for second period.
The lunch bell rang and I made my way to the bathroom. I walked into a stall and lit a cigarette. The doors opened and I heard two footsteps walk in. I locked the stall door. Once they started talking I recognized their voices. One of them was a little blurry, but the other was perfectly clear. Cherry Valence. I crouched down on the seat just incase they wanted to look and see if anyone was in the stalls.
        "Where did that one girl go? That greaser one?", the unrecognizable voice asked.
       "Oh her. The slut?", Cherry said.
      "Yeah."
       "She was in the hospital for something. I heard she was Dally's girl now."
      "From who?"
      "No one in particular. Someone saw them together."
You asked me, and I didn't even say yes.
       "How come everyone calls her a slut?", the other voice said.
       "C'mon. Seriously? She is the only girl in a group of 7 guys."
       "Isn't she the sister of 3 of them?"
      "Yeah. But who says she hasn't been through the other 4? And now we know officially she's with Dallas. We all know Dallas, he's nothing special at all. Why do you think Sylvia cheated on him?", Cherry laughed.
      I unlocked the door and speedily walked up to her, pushing her against the wall.
      "What a bore right?", I sneered.
      She grabbed my arm, so kneed her in the stomach and slapped her when she leaned over.
      "I'm a slut? Even when you dated my little brother then kissed his best friend behind his back. Both greaser boys."
She glared at me. She kept Ponyboy a secret from everyone else.
      I walked out of the bathroom and out the front doors. Usually this was where Johnny would be. When I turned the corner to look and see where Johnny was, I saw him and Ponyboy laughing while leaning on the wall of the school. I smiled at them and turned back around. They should be by themselves right now.
        The day was over and not once did I see Cherry. She still had my hoodie at her house. But because of this I assumed she probably threw it away or something. I walked home with Johnny and Ponyboy. I didn't want to ask if they made up because they clearly did. Talking to them made me a little less tired.
         Once I got home I walked up to the bathroom and wiped my face with freezing cold water to wake myself up. I still had 2 more hours until work. I dropped my book bag in my room and took out all the folders laying them on the desk. I went threw my cabinets and grabbed a simple black t-shirt and black leggings. I reapplied deodorant and perfume and put on some mascara and red lipstick. I made sure it was kinda dull so I wasn't overdoing it.
      I walked downstairs and walked into the kitchen, the guys were just starting to pile up in  the living room. I ate some food out of the fridge for dinner and drank a bottle of water. When I checked the time it was 4:15. I guess I should start walking to the diner.
     When I went to walk into the living room Dally nearly collided with me. I grabbed onto his arms and pushed myself away from him.
     "What are you all dressed up for? Don't you wear, like, sweats and a t-shirt to bed?", he asked.
     "I have to go to work."
     "To work?"
     "Yeah I got a job at a diner near the high school yesterday. Today's my first day.", I said passing by him.
      "Good luck."
      "Thanks. Imma need it."
      I walked out into the living room and grabbed my jean jacket.
      "I'm going.", I said walking out the door.
      "Wait!", Johnny called to me.
      I stopped and turned to him.
      "I wanna milkshake.", he softly said.
      We walked down the sidewalk together for a few minutes before I spoke up about the elephant in the room.
      "So, I don't know if you wanna talk about this. But, how are you and Ponyboy?", I asked.
     "We're good. We talked about it during lunch and then we started joking about how scared I was of girls."
       I laughed thinking about it.
      "It was kinda funny how you froze."
      He shook his head, but he was smiling.
     "Thanks for making it so he would even look at me."
      "No problem, Johnny cakes."