Secret's Out

"...Tell me the story."
He took a deep breath and started to explain what happened.
"Cherry asked me if I needed help with my math, and obviously-", he pointed to the textbook, "I did. So she was helping me with it after school when we were sitting on the stairs and she kissed me. I didn't know what to do so I let her, but I didn't kiss her back. When she stopped I packed my bags and left, which is why I still didn't understand it this morning. I don't like her. She's Pony's girl, but I told Pony because I wanted him to find out from me. I don't want him to date her if she's just gonna cheat on him."
        I closed the textbook.
        "Do you have a test on it today?", I asked.
        "...Uh. Yeah."
        "Can you use your book?"
        "Only our notes."
        I ran upstairs and shuffled through my notebooks, I found the notebook from last year with all the easy tips and answers I came up with.
        When I was walking down the stairs Dally was asleep, but Steve was trying to draw on his face with a marker. I ran into the living room and smacked the back of his head.
      "Ow!", he hissed.
     "Let him sleep." I pulled his ear.
     "Aww! Look at Dal's girl lookin out for him!", he called out to me.
       This time Darry slapped the back of his head. Soda came down the stairs after me.
      "These two just slapped the back of my head.", Steve said to Soda.
      "He deserved it!", Darry defended.
      I rolled my eyes and walked back into the kitchen to Johnny.
       "Use mine.", I said.
       He scanned through the pages.
       "Thanks Y/N. But with Ponyboy-"
       "I'll ask him, don't worry, Johnny. Nail this test, I got Ponyboy...and I will be dealing with Cherry later.", I assured.
        He hugged me and then put his textbook back in his backpack and ran out the door. I checked the time. It was time for Ponyboy to go to school, too. When I went into the living room he was already out the door, along with some of the guys. Darry was getting himself ready for his new job. One of his collars on his shirt was still up. I tugged it down to his shirt.
        "Thanks.", he said.
        "You'll be fine. Just don't piss anyone off.", I warned.
        "I'll try."
        Once he left, Two-Bit was the only one left.
       "I'll be back, Y/N.", he said.
      "Where ya off too?", I asked.
      "I'm goin' on a date."
       "With who?!"
       "This little broad I met awhile ago. She wanted to 'catch up'."
        "Don't kiss her on the first date."
        "I don't even think you and Dal been on a date.", he said.
        "What?", I asked, confused.
        "I saw you two this mornin'."
        I didn't know how to reply to it.
        "What do you mean?"
        "Kissing each other. Cuddling on the couch. Don't worry I won't tell no one, you're like my kid sister, I wouldn't sell ya out."
He put on his jacket and walked out the door. I groaned. He wouldn't tell them on purpose, but knowing Two-Bit he would slide it out in a joke.
I turned to Dallas, who was still sound asleep on the couch. I walked over to him and grabbed a pillow, then hit him with it. He woke up.
"What are you doing?", he asked. His voice was crackly from sleeping and his hair was a little messy.
"Two-Bit knows.", I said.
"Knows what."
"About us. He was awake the whole time."
He sighed.
"So he knows how I act around you?"
"Yup. He also knows that Darry, Soda, and Ponyboy won't approve."
"Is he gonna tell them?"
"He said he wouldn't.", I responded.
I sat down next to him on the couch.
"Come here."
He wrapped his arms around me and laid down on the couch with me.
"Can we just sleep?", he questioned.
"I don't think I can sleep right now."
"Why not?"
"I'm not tired.", I said.
"Well, can we...I can't even say it. Can we make like a code word or something?"
"Why don't we just say 'lay down together'?"
"Okay. Can we just lay down together until I fall asleep?"
"Yes."
I stayed quiet the whole time. Mickey Mouse was still on from when Two-Bit was here. I could hear his heartbeat through his chest. Eventually, I could tell he was asleep. He didn't snore very loudly, which was shocking to me.
I put my arms on either side of him and sat myself up, but he pulled me down again in his sleep. I adjusted myself to a more comfortable position and tried again, but his arms were too tight around me. They weren't suffocating me, but I wouldn't be able to get up. I thought about waking him up, but then I saw his sleeping face. He looked so peaceful, and it seemed like I'd never seen him peaceful. He always had an angry face on. I thought it was just his resting face, eyebrows darted down, clenched jaw. I guess it wasn't.
1 day later
It was early in the morning, I already changed, and all the guys were in the living room. Christmas was close. And to be completely honest I couldn't afford presents this year. I never really worried about it. But, Soda had a job, and Darry too.
I was sitting on the couch, thinking of places to work at. Two-Bit was watching TV in front of me. I tapped his shoulder with my foot. He whipped around.
"Yep?", he asked.
"Do you work anywhere?"
"Nope. Imma free man. I just make money buy stealing.", he answered.
"Do you know of a place?", I asked.
"Why? You lookin for a job?"
"Yeah."
"My mom works at a diner. They're looking for a bartender. You get paid everyday, and tipped."
"How much do I get paid?"
"$5 and all tip money's yours.", he answered.
"Per night?!", I said, pleasantly surprised.
"Per night."
"There's a catch isn't there? I gotta serve drinks in my bra and booty shorts, right?", I asked.
"No. I'm sure they'll put you in a short black dress or something, but I don't think you'll have to get naked.", he said.
"Alright. When can I apply?"
"Right now if you want."
I got off the couch and put my hair into a ponytail.
"Okay. Let's go."