Ch. 6

I hold my breath as I feel the tension in the air. This wasn't a well thought out plan. Ryker is a big guy, he played football all through high school, but the army and cadet training has bulked him up even more.

"Nice to meet you, Alix." Ryker says, and I let out the breath I was holding.

"You've never mentioned him before. An ex?" Alix asks loud enough for him to hear.

I nod, "Yeah, years ago." I clarify.

"How could you let her go?" Alix questions, smugly as he caresses my thigh.

I see Rykers, jaw work out the words. "I didn't."

"Yet, she's sharing my bed-"

"Excuse me." Ryker grumbles, walking away. I lean forward and punch Corey in the arm as hard as I can.

"You're a shit." I tell him, angrily.

He puts his hands up innocently. "I'm not the one parading a new guy in front of my ex who's still in love with me."

"He needs to get over it." Alix states, before I can respond.

I scoff, "Tell me about it." Then I turn to him, remembering I'm mad at him too. "Really? Sharing your bed?" I ask, irritated.

He smirks, mischievously. "I'm your boyfriend, right?" My eyes narrow, regretting that I had him agree to playing the role before we came into the party.

"You're lucky I can't kill you before your family shows up." I tell him.

"I can't die before you give me my birthday present." He winks.

I narrow my eyes. "You're getting a case of junior mints." I threaten.

"1.2." 

I take a deep breath, this needs to end. "I need to speak with you for minute." I say, standing up. I walk back to the house with him following me. I go to my childhood bedroom and notice boxes stacked up against the wall and I am momentarily distracted. "You have to stop." I tell him, as he shuts the door.

He nods and I feel relieved, thats what I like about him. If you draw the line, he'll respect it. I turn to go the boxes curious about them. They are labeled with the various items they hold and they have an address to an apartment just east of here.

"What is this?" I question out loud. Feeling him come stand behind me.

"Are your parents moving?" He asks.

"No. No, way. This house has been in the family forever." I reply, confused.

Wanting answers I go to the kitchen. "Mom, what's with all the boxes?"

She turns quickly. "What boxes?" She asks, looking guilty.

"The ones in my room." I answer, knowing she knows exactly what boxes I'm referring to.

"Oh! We didn't tell you? We're moving." She answers, trying to sound nonchalant.

"Moving? Why?"

She shakes her head and turns back to making a veggie tray. I hear her soft sobs and go to her. "Mom, what happened?" I ask, concerned.

"We lost the house." She explains, whipping her tears on a kitchen towel. "We took the second mortgage out and couldn't make the higher payments on top of everything else." She replies, helplessly.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"You're already paying for Lilly's apartment and helping with her monthly bills. We couldn't tell you, you'd try to help. Trust me it's too much, even for you." She winks. "We'll be okay. We have the memories, that's all that matters." She states, starting to cry again, making me feeling helpless.

I hug her, watching Alix leave through the backdoor, rejoining the party to give us privacy. She composes herself and we carry the cake outside. I see that Alix is standing with my dad talking. I help light the candles and we sing happy birthday. I make sure to get Alix a big slice of cake and go back to help Lilly and Ella with opening presents. By the time we say our goodbyes and get to the car its 5:30.

On our way to the airstrip we're quiet. Me lost in thoughts of my parents and losing the house and him on his phone working and shuffling papers in and out of his briefcase.

In the end, its just a house. I know we've survived a lot worse, but it doesn't make it any easier. I grew up with Tommy in that house. We moved in after grandpa passed away to take care of grandma, I've literally spent every holiday, every birthday there. Deep down I know it doesn't matter that Ella just had her last birthday there. Next year we'll start a new tradition. I feel the tears start to fall and bury my face in my hands. I wipe them away knowing that we're about to board the plane. The car stops and I take a deep breath. I open the door not wanting Alix to see me weeping. With my bags in hand I walk to the plane quickly. I nod to the stewardess who notices my tears and she hands me a box of tissues.

"Thank you." I say, taking them and moving to my usual seat.

I lean my head back against the seat and close my eyes. "Why are you crying?" Alix, asks leaning down in front of me taking my cheeks in his hands, his thumbs brushing away the tears that won't stop.

"I'm not." I deny, my voice hiccuping. I hit his hands away. I don't have to open my eyes to see his smirking face. "Can't I cry?" I ask, defensively.

"Of course, but I want to know why?" He persists.

I scoff. "Lots of reasons."

"Leaving your family or the house?" He questions, his hands coming back to my face, cupping my chin until look at him.

I feel my lip quiver and bite down on it. "House." I answer, trying to look away from him. I've never cried in front of anyone. Its not a habit I want to get into. The look on his face tells me he wants more of an explanation. I sigh and say, "When I think about the house I think about my grandparents, I think about Tommy. Its gone. I can't believe this was Ella's last birthday in that house." I cry, trying to pull my face out of his hands. He doesn't let go, "Just sit down and let me cry for the next 2 hours. I'll stop eventually." I assure him.

Finally, he sits so that the plane can leave. I wipe at my tears and runny nose, wishing I could stop thinking about every time I snuck out with my brother to go play flashlight tag with the neighborhood kids. I think about the door jam that has our names with our growth mapped out on it, Tommy bragging about his over mine. The third step in the basement that we'd always try to avoid when sneaking down to the deep freeze for ice cream at midnight. Its almost like losing him all over again. I thought I'd always have the house to keep his memory alive. I was wrong, I hate being wrong.

"Would you like something to drink?" The stewardess asks, sympathetically. "Wine?"

"Yes, please. Red." I answer, needing something to dull the pain. She brings me a full glass and a plate of chocolate. I can't help but laugh. "Thank you." I say, passing the chocolate to Alix. 

I drink the first glass quickly and ask for another. I've stopped crying at least. "This is karma, you know." Alix states, looking down at me. "For not sleeping with me." He answers, my questioning look.

I smile. "Yeah, I think the universe has bigger fish to fry than punish me for not pleasing you."

"I bet you wished you'd snapped up that 1.2 million when I offered it. Now, I can low ball you."

I laugh, bitterly, "Yep, my stock has plummeted."

"I'm all ears if you want to discuss a trade." He teases.

I roll my eyes. "Save my parents house. I'll give you whatever the hell you want." I reply, sarcastically drinking the remainder of my wine.

"Done." He replies, distractingly as he picks up another file.

    I smile, it might not be the most conventional boss/employee relationship, but he does make me feel better. Oddly enough, I'm glad that he went with me. It was a nice party for Ella and it was a break from the nonstop workload that we drown ourselves in.