Ch. 20

I shift tiredly in my seat. Its now nearing 11 o'clock at night and we've been weeding through applicants to takeover as Operations Supervisor. We've gone back and forth, discussing the merits of an outside hire or offering the position to one of the senior workers. I'm all for hiring in house, but I do understand that it takes more than seniority to run the Port.

"Noah Jackson, is our only possible in-house hire." I say, tossing the two other prospects that we've previously considered in a separate file. Noah Jackson has been with the operation for nearly 7 years. "He has a bachelors degree in Marine Transportation and management. It's a step up from shipping coordinator, which he has been very productive and has had no complaints filed against him. Plus, it always risky to take on outside hires, especially with the tight bond the workers have amongst each other." I add, watching Alix's face as he has an internal debate about my opinion on the subject.

"Not to mention time we'd save on training. Jackson could potentially walk into the role and pickup the job responsibilities without a problem." Alix adds, in agreement.

I tilt my head to the side and rub my neck. "Well, one problem is solved. Whats next?" I ask.

"That's all for tonight. We'll meet with Jackson after we print up a contract."

"What if he doesn't want the position?" I question, wanting to cover our bases. If he does turn down the position it would be helpful and beneficial for the company to have an immediate back up plan. The fact that Alix doesn't want to get firm control over this situation and have all measures addressed is more than a little surprising. Its downright shocking.

"He'll take the position." He replies, simply.

I shrug off his statement. There's no reason to ask him again. Once he's made up his mind There is no point in arguing. He's probably right anyway, he usually is. Jackson will more than likely want the raise and job title, he's been a dedicated worker, its obvious he cares about the port and the people that work there.

I sigh, wanting to go home and get some rest. "Alright. I'll see you tomorrow." I tell him, standing up. In the back of my mind I know I won't be going anywhere without him, but I need to test the waters. He never tells me more than I need to know, this is the only way I can figure out where we're at exactly in our arrangement.

"Where are you going?" He questions, somewhat preoccupied as he reads something off the computer screen.

"Home. You said that we're done for the night." I remind him, hesitantly.

He blinks slowly and turns towards me his eyebrow raised. He doesn't say anything, he doesn't need to. I know what he wants and what he expects.

My shoulders fall. "Come on. I'd like one night in my own bed." I complain.

He nods. "We'll stay at your apartment."

I watch as he turns off his computer and puts on his jacket, sliding his phone into his chest pocket before he grabs his briefcase. All of these actions I've seen so many times,. Even before we started sleeping together its was always the same thing, such a creature of habit. How do I fit into that?

"How can you go from being alone every night to being with me all the time?" I question, not understanding the draw. I mean we have sex, good sex but come on! One night off won't kill him. The look he gives me tells me to quit talking. So of course, I decline. "I seriously can't remember the last time I was out of your sight for more than 10 minutes." I complain.

"What a horrible life." He replies, unamused. He ushers me towards the door, his hand resting at the small of my back.

"Tedious." I complain. "Who knew you'd be so needy?"

He smirks. "I had no idea either."

I look at him confused and an idea pops into my head. "Have you ever read about those people that were blind and get hit in the head and can see again?"

"What about it?" He questions, not following my line of thought.

"I think we should conduct an experiment." I say, thinking out loud.

He turns to me holding the door open. "Lets hear it."

"If we give you a wack on the back of your head with a baseball bat, maybe it will make right all the wrongs in your brain." I reply, then think of a better option. "Or push you down a set of stairs like Braxton. He's normal, maybe he was just like you once." I say, thinking of the disparities between them.

"Is there something wrong with the way I am?" He questions, as I walk past him.

"I didn't think there was, but now I do." I answer, truthfully.

"Oh?" He asks, interested.

I nod. "You're never the same person. Just when I think your you. You change into someone else."

"Because I like being with you?" He questions, sounding bored.

"Yep." I state, unapologetically. "Not that I don't have fun in bed with you, but one night away wouldn't be the end of the world."

"I didn't say it would be." He responds, as we make our way to the front of the building.

"Then why don't you go to your place and I'll go to mine?" I hint, seeing if he'll bend.

"I'll see you, tomorrow." He replies and walks to his car. I watch for only a second before I go to my Honda Civic and get in. I start the car and back out of the parking spot still in disbelief, "Why does this feel so weird?" I ask out loud. I feel the loss of his presence, but choose to ignore it.

    One night alone, its what I want. To be honest I wanted to see how I would feel without him. Deep down I knew I wouldn't like parting from him and my suspicions were right. I just can't ever let it show. I need this job, I need the money the security. It may sound degrading, but I'll work though pretty much anything to see my niece given all the things she deserves. Having no father is hard enough, I won't make this much money in any other position. When I took this job I fell into what I would consider a gold mine. I can take care of most of my bills and Lilly's.

I drive to my apartment, and park in my assigned parking spot. I get out and shut the door, caring my purse with my keys in hand. I climb the stairs to the second story and see a dark figure next to my door. I instantly know its Alix. I pause for a second before I finish walking the rest of the way.

"Really? What happened to, see you tomorrow?"

He lifts up the sleeve of his jacket looking at his watch. "It's 12:02."

I push his chest, laughing quietly. "Such a dork." I unlock the door and walk in with him following after.