Ch. 22

I wake up stuck to Alix's side with my ass hanging off the mattress. I hear mom in the kitchen so I slide out of bed and grab my cellphone off the nightstand, careful not to wake him up. I open the bedroom door and shut it quietly before making my way down the hall. I watch mom as she cuts up what looks to be ham, bacon, peppers and mushrooms.

"Morning." I say, coming into the kitchen.

"Morning, love. Coffee's hot." She replies.

I walk to the coffee pot and pour a cup, I take my mug to the table and sit down. Remembering to turn off my alarm on my cell. I'll give Alix another hour to sleep, it was a late night. "Need help?" I ask, knowing she's making her famous egg bake.

"Nope, just finishing up. How'd you sleep?" She asks.

"Good. Thanks."

I watch her finish chopping and mix the ingredients into a bowl of egg batter and pour the mixture into a casserole dish. I get up and open the oven door as she carries the dish and slides it in. I shut the door and mom sets the oven timer. I smile to myself. "Just like old times." I comment.

Mom laughs. "In old times you wouldn't of had a man in your bedroom." She states, winking playfully.

I feel my cheeks burn, slightly. "True."

"So, tell me what's going on?" She demands, picking up her coffee and walking to the table. "When did you start a relationship with your boss and is it serious?" She questions, as I sit down next to her.

I don't know why I didn't think about the questions that my parents would have. I could've prepared my response to them. I guess its because its never come up before. Now that I brought a man home for the second time, of course mom and dad want to know about everything about him.

"Its complicated." I state, unsure of how to respond.

"Meaning?" She questions, close to laughing at how uncomfortable I am.

"Meaning, we're enjoying each other's company but not rushing into anything at the moment." I answer, truthful as possible.

There's a slight pause from mom as she takes in my explanation. Just before she's about to respond my phone buzzes. I look at my phone not recognizing the number. "Sorry, I have to take this. It could be work." I explain.

"Of course, honey." She reply's, motioning me to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Samantha, darling. Is this a good time? I didn't wake you did I?" Braxton's cheery voice asks.

Momentarily surprised, I finally respond. "Yes, I'm awake. Whats up?"

I heard that you and Alix are in town. I mentally roll my eyes, "in town" is still over two hours out of manhattan where he is currently located.

"Yeah, we are. We flew up last night. We're working at the New York Port and next week I go with Charlie wedding dress shopping." I confirm.

"You came early, though. I'm glad you did. I need your help." I hear the seriousness in his voice and become instantly alert.

"What can I do?" I ask, ready to help.

"It's Charlotte. Its great you're going shopping with her and I can't thank you enough." He pauses, slightly. "But, she's been missing her family, I get the feeling that she's wishing she wasn't alone right now. We have a menu tasting reservation tonight at the four seasons. I would like for you and Alix to come, my parents will be there. Please." He says, practically begging at this point.

"I don't know if Alix will agree to it. We have a lot to do, its not really a vacation, Braxton." I reply, wincing because of all the work on our plate to finish today. There's just no way Alix will agree to driving to Manhattan tonight.

"You can talk him into it, right? Please, Samantha. I don't like seeing my future wife so unhappy." He says, sounding so sad and broken.

I groan. "Really, you had to go there?" I ask, hating the thought of Charlie so alone at such a exciting time in her life.

"I'm desperate." He states, simply.

"I don't know how I'm going to be able to talk him into it. But I will. Count us in."

"Thank you."

"Don't thank me yet. I may fail horribly." I reply, anxiously.

"I have faith. We're meeting at my office. I'll text you the address. See you tonight." He says, his mood much lighter.

"Yep, even if I have to drag Alix's unconscious body there." I reply, only half joking.

He chuckles. "Im sure you'll think of something less brutal."

I huff, loudly. "Doubt it. Bye."

"Bye."

I hang up and look at mom. "How much longer do we have on the egg bake?"

"Only 15 minutes. Why?"

"Because, I have to go convince Alix to go into the city tonight. Its going to take every second of that time. You don't mind if we push dinner to tomorrow do you?" I ask.

"No, thats fine."

I sigh. "Well, wish me luck."

She chuckles. "Good luck, hun."

I walk down the hall and to my room. I crack open the door to see Alix laying in bed looking at his phone. He glances up when I come in. "Hey, we need to talk." I say, apprehensively.

"Oh?" He asks, curiously.

I nod. "We have to go into the city tonight." I tell him.

He looks back at his phone irritated. "No." He says, shaking his head adamantly.

"Please!" I beg.

"What is Braxton doing calling you? I told him we couldn't make it. My parents will be there and you're going shopping with Charlotte next week."

I throw up my hands. "That asshole already called you?"

He smirks and nods his head, yes. Going back to looking at his emails.

What the hell did Braxton expect me to to do? I'm not a miracle worker. If Alix already told him no, there's no point in arguing with him. I instantly think of Braxton's desperation, he wants to make this a happy time for Charlie and she deserves to be happy. Thinking of the only thing I could do to change his mind. "Please?" I say, again. I see him about to tell me, no. I hold up my hand to stop him and climb onto the bed and sit between his long legs. I lean forward and kiss his stomach. "I'll be generous." I state, placing another kiss even lower. I hear his groan of approval. "Very generous." I add, taking him in my hand.

He nods as his mouth drops. "We'll go." He grunts.

I smile, triumphantly. "That was easier than I thought." I say, before finishing the task at hand.