Boys

I looked at Alex, and he nodded.

"You guys know I love all three of you. But I have decided my hear belongs to Alex."

The room grew silent.

"I hate that it has to be this way, but I see the pain I'm cause all three of you guys. It's my fault you got hurt, and I have to make this choice or you will continue to hurt each other."

Still, the silence was overwhelming.

"Can you at least say something?" I pleaded, looking at them.

"But..." Johnny said.

"What?" I asked, watching him push away his tears.

"You love me."

"I do.." I said, feeling a pang of guilt.

"And you love me.." Daulton said, turning his head away from me. He couldn't let me see him tear up. He's too "strong".

"Yes.." I said, holding back my tears. I can't see them hurt so much.

"And you love me." Alex said, clearing his throat.

"This isn't right.."

I can't do this. I can't hurt these guys again.

"You chose Alex, I respect that. Have a good night." Daulton said, getting off the couch. I could feel his pain from three feet away.

"No.. Wait.." I said, reaching out to grab his hand. When my hand touched his, he pushed me away.

"I want nothing to do with you." He said, turning to me to face me with his watery eyes. He slammed the door, and that was that.

"I need to go for a walk.." Johnny said, crying immensely. He picked up the whole tissue box and when I tried to grab his hand and talk, he pushed me away.

"No. I can't look at you."He said, staring at the ground. After running out of the room, I dropped to my knees. My tears were uncontrollable now, falling to the ground as fast as rain. Alex held me close, trying to assure me that I did the right thing.

"But they're hurt.." I said, sobbing into his shirt now. He stroked my back and tried to wipe away my tears.

"Only for now. Johnny likes Lulu, and Daulton has a thing for Allison. Just give it time, okay?" He said, helping me off the floor. I went straight to bed, forcing Alex to go to his room.

-----------------------------------

Two days passed. Then three. Then a week. Nothing changed.

No sign of Daulton.

Johnny wasn't home.

The only way I knew they were alive is because they called Alex and let him know where they were.

Daulton was just out about, drinking away his heart break.

Johnny was staying at Lulu's until he was happy enough,

"Alex. I can't do this."

I hurt them too bad. I never thought I would hurt them like this, but I did. Even Alex is hurt. I can see it in his eyes he hurts because I've hurt his family. The people he loves.

"It's okay." He says, putting his hands on my shoulders, trying to comfort me.

"No." I said, remembering the scene. Remembering how the tears on their faces permanently marked them. Remembering how it felt to see their smiles vanish with my words. But worse, was feeling their pain as they walked away from me; rejecting my touch. The same guys who used to long for it.

"I'm not mad at you, and neither are they. They're just taking it hard. Wait, and we'll be the same like we used to be."

I tried to take in his words, but even I knew things would never be the same. We wouldn't smile and joke around like we used to, I wouldn't feel that connection with the guys that I once felt for them. My feelings were supposed to fully be given to Alex.

But how was that such a bad thing? Alex was so much better then he used to be. I can see it in his eyes when I walk in the room that he loves me. Didn't I love him back? Why did it feel like I didn't love him anymore?

"Alex, something is different." I said, turning to face him. He was devilishly handsome, that was for sure. He frowned, and nuzzled my neck, giving me butterflies.

"I love you, Rachel." He said, saying my name so sweetly.

It had to be guilt. That was why I was feeling so distant. I mean look at that face! That calming voice. Of course I loved him.

I love you too Daulton, I thought. My mind drifting to that blond sweet heart.

I love you too, Johnny, I thought. Now seeing him in my head.

"Alex. I love you, Alex."  I said, pushing away those thoughts. I shouldn't think that way.

"Movie?" He asked, flopping down on his bed. I crawled in, trying to push thoughts away.

------------------------------

"Can we talk?" I asked Alex. It has been two weeks now.

"What's up?"

"I miss them. Can you call them and tell them to come over?" I begged, smiling when he picked up his phone at last.

"Thirty minutes." He replied, explaining that he was gonna leave while we had alone time to sort things out.

He kissed me good bye, and I got ready to see the guys. What am I supposed to say?