Chapter 1: Wood Crest High

I laid on my bed near the window in my room listening to the loud rumbles of thunder and watching the strikes of lightening that lit up the sky. I loved it and it amazed me... the thunderstorms. How the lightning bolts would dart across the sky and even better, when it struck a tree, splitting it completely in half and leaving it smoldering. It was like a show, a show for... well for me. So beautiful and hypnotizing.

The window was cracked, letting light little raindrop hit my nose. The smell of the fresh rain was calming and relaxing to me. I closed my eyes and just continued to listen to the ran as sleep washed over me and before I knew it, the sun had risen blinding my with its light. I groaned sitting up and rubbing my eyes lightly. I glazed over at the alarm clock resting on the nightstand besides my bed and gasped audibly.

"Oh my god!" I threw back the covers, running out into the small hallway between my room and my mom's room. Her door was wide open. "Mom?" I called out and groaned out loudly already knowing she didn't even bother coming home last night. She would always do this when the week start back up again. She'll spend all weekend partying and drinking with her friends and then when Monday comes, she's nowhere to be found.

Most likely, she crashed over a friend's house and would be home by the time I got out of school. Speaking of school... I'm late. I'm not talking ten minutes late or even twenty but about thirty minutes late and missing first period science.

I quickly hoped in the shower and washed up the best I could within the little fifteen minutes I had before I missed the next bus. I rushed to pull on some old dark blue jeans, a plain white tee that I washed the night before, it was dry now but all wrinkled, and there was no time to iron it. I slipped it on along with a dark grey hoodie that was my dad's. He gave it to me a few months before he died. It meant a lot to me because all I think about when I wear it is him and it helps me get through the day.

I slipped on my beat up gym shoes, grabbed my keys and cell phone of the charger and stuffing them all into the black and white stripped book bag.

"Wait!" I yelled as the last bus zipped right pass me. I pulled out my phone looking to see when to next bus will be but ended up texting Dashawn to see if he'll come by to pick me up after seeing that it'll take thirty-five minutes and I just don't got that type of time. Dashawn texting back saying he'll be there in ten minutes and whatnot. That boy was never early or on time for school. He comes late on purpose since he spent that time goofing off with a few of his friends. So, I already knew he's waiting until the last hour to show up like Mr. McCool or whatever. All the girls go crazy over him and I can't see why... I mean of course they don't see the goofy, video game playing good boy at heart best friend I known since fifth grade.

Finally, when he does come in his all black 2013 Ram pick-up truck; second period had most likely already started. I got up from the bench as he rolled down the passenger's window smirking.

"Need a ride?" he smiled showing off his pearly white teeth he worked so hard to get with wearing braces back in middle school and all. I rolled my eyes at him climbing in the passenger's seat.

"Just hurry up," I pleaded and he shrugged taking off playing loud rap music. He turned it down a bit, as we reached a red light.

"So what's with you? Usually you're the first in class," he said.

"Oh, I um... woke up late." I said.

"Mhm, and what time did she come stumbling through the door this time?" he said frowning and I gaped at him.

"Shawn!" I frowned folding my arms and looking out the window.

"Ali, you need to stop acting like it's no big deal about and start talking this shit out," he said as the light turned green again.