Chapter 3: Berries

Chapter 3: Berries

Picture of Marcus on the side.

Ali ~

I stopped by my locker before lunch to put away some book I will not need for the next few classes. My mind kept racing back to Marcus and how we would have to work as partners for this assignment in Mr. Clark's class. I was excited and felt jittery over the thought.

"Come on Ali, you know how people be hungry as hell for those burgers in there." Billie smiled.

"Choke sandwiches you mean?" Dashawn laughed. I laughed at his name for the dry tasteless burgers that the lunch ladies would just toss in the over for a few minutes before lunch would start.

"Hey, food is food." Billie defended.

"Whatever, we both know you just want to see Griffin." Dashawn said and if Billie was a few tones lighter, I'm sure you could see the blush on her face. By the look on her face, I could tell she was blushing a bit. "Aw look Al, she blushing." Dashawn said leaning in closer to Billie's cheek when she pushed his shoulder with an irritated look etched on her face.

"Boy, your breath is singeing my eyebrows!" Billie yelled. Dashawn put his hand to his mouth cupping it to his nose and made a face.

"Whatever." He huffed walking into the lunchroom and Billie busted out laughing.

"You mad or naw!" She yelled making me laugh. We walked into the lunchroom and quickly got in line before it could get any longer. Today, we were having the cheeseburgers or should I say choke sandwiches as Dashawn put them...with tatter-tots and milk.

I frowned at the smell of the slightly burnt cheese on the burger I got. It was making me unbelievably sick.

"On second thought, I'm not that hungry." I lied pushing my trey away slightly and Billie eyed me out the corner of her eye. Truth was that I was freaking starving. I haven't eaten breakfast and the last thing I ate was the pizza they served for lunch yesterday.

Momma stopped going to the store and grocery shopping altogether. Therefore, with that being said, our little refrigerator at home was near empty... like my stomach. In addition, do not get me started on the bills. It is as if she just tucks them under the couch cushions and POOF, they gone... yeah right. She does the same thing with the millions of phone calls we get. Oh sure just let the answering machine get it what is she going to do if they come to the house looking for payment?

I was so deep in thought that I did not notice the hand on my shoulder.

"Ali." I felt little tiny shocks and tingles cover me like a warm thick comforter. I looked up seeing the darkest pair of eyes ever, glaring down at me with such amount of intensity; it almost had me falling backwards into his strong hold. Before I could say anything, a large light pink container was set in front of me by Marcus. He sat down next to me still looking at me as if I was the most beautiful thing in the world.

"What's this?" I asked breaking eye contact with him to look back down at the container.

"Open it." he said licking his lips. I eyed him a minute before peeling of the top to the container. The smell of fresh blueberries and sliced strawberries filled my nose and brought a huge smile to my face. I looked up completely speechless and in pure shock.

"Damn girl, looks like you got somebody that likes you." Billie said eyeing Marcus and me. I turned back at him seeing a smirk with a cute little dimple.

"Wow, I don't know what to say..." I said biting my lip.

"It's alright, brought it just because." Marcus said whispering in my ear and taking a strawberry from the container and putting it to my lips barely making contact. I looked into his eyes feeling this sudden wave of heat wash over me just as the last times I would gaze deeply into those lethal weapon eyes of his. My tongue stunk out on it own slightly and he rubbed the sliced fruit on my tongue gently. I fought to hold back the moan that was building up inside me from the juices the strawberry brought to my taste buds. Forgetting where I was... lost in the moment.