Breaking Point

"Brooke, you need to wake up! There's been an accident." I bolted upright from where I was laying in Steve and Bucky's bed. Steve was standing over me and shaking my shoulder frantically.

"What happened?" I asked anxiously.

"Your parents." Steve started slowly. I clenched his arm and looked at him with wide eyes and bated breath.

"Are they...?" I asked hoarsely.

"There was an explosion. They're still alive, but they're pretty injured and it's not looking good." I stifled a sob with my hand and sunk to the floor.

"Bucky get in here!" Steve yelled as I tucked myself into a ball. I heard footsteps race into the room and felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Brooke, I need you to calm down." Bucky said gently. I just kept my head buried and tried to block out the rest of the world. "Get the kid." I heard Bucky mutter. Steve yelled something I couldn't make out and a second later Pietro was sitting in front of me gently pulling me into a hug and stroking my hair.

"It's going to be OK Солнце." he whispered "I'm right here with you, everything's going to be fine." I cried into his shirt and rested my head on his shoulder.

"What if they don't make it?" I choked out. "What if they...?"

"Hey," Pietro said sternly as he tilted my chin, forcing me to look like him "don't talk like that. Your parents are two of the strongest people I have ever met, they'll be just fine. Steve said we can go see them, but you're not going unless you smile and say they're going to be OK." I took a few deep breaths to calm myself down and gave a shaky smile.

"They're going to be OK." I said firmly. Pietro grinned and leaned in to kiss me.

"I love you sunshine." he breathed.

"I like it better when you say it in Russian." I said with a smirk.

"Я люблю тебя солнце." he said, rolling his eyes as he kissed me one more time. (I love you sunshine)

"I love you too." I whispered. Pietro smiled and picked me up from the floor. He spun me around as I laughed.

"You ready to see your parents?" he asked seriously as he set me down.

"More than you know."

"I can't do this." Pietro gave me a sad glance and a second later I was in my parent's hospital room by myself. "I hate you." I muttered to the air. Taking a deep breath, I walked over to sit between my parent's beds and sat in the silence. The only sound in the room was the steady beeping of the heart monitor as my parents lay unconscious and unresponsive. 

"So," I started out "I have no idea if either one of you can hear me or if you're even aware that I'm here. Um, I guess I just wanted to tell you two thanks. Thank you for taking me out of the orphanage. Thank you for being two of the greatest parents ever. And especially, thank you for just being there and never giving up in me, even when I was giving up on myself. I've never been as happy as when I've been with you two, and the rest of the team at the tower. This has been the closest I've ever been to having a family and I'm glad I got to experience it. I just wanted to let you two know that I love you, and that whatever happens next, it's not your fault and I'm sorry that I didn't see that sooner." I glanced down at my hands, fighting back a sob "So thanks for giving my life purpose." I finished, brushing tears from my face.