|CHAPTER 23|

|Everett|

The guys start to get into formation. They all have big grins on their faces as they prepare to play football. "This game must be a lot of fun for the guys."

Jamie looks over at me and smiles. "Yeah it is. The warriors always play this game when we have pack barbecues. They always seem to have so much fun."

"Why don't you play?" I ask. Jamie is a warrior of the pack.

"I'm not interested in playing football. I would rather just watch Alexander have fun with the other warriors." Jamie smiles in the direction of her mate who doesn't have a shirt on. He stands in formation close to Bryson, who winks at me again from a distance before yelling a command and the game starts.

I look down at the over sized shirt I have on, confused as to why I am wearing it and Bryson is not. "Jamie, why are we wearing these shirts and not our mates?"

A fond smiles grows on her face and her hands seems to grip the jersey close to her chest. "The mates of the warriors who are playing wear their jersey to show their support for their mate. The wolves on the team with jerseys are the unmated wolves. So, Logan has a jersey on for example that means that he doesn't have a mate.

I nod and look at my brother who tackles another wolf. Both grin when they get up and pat each other on the pack. Logan not having a mate yet seems strange to me. Bryson knew I was his mate from a young age but Logan has yet to meet his. I wonder where they are. I wonder what they are. Werewolf, human, witch perhaps. I wonder if she will be beautiful and will care for my brother and love him the way that he deserves.

"How did you and Alexander meet?" I ask. I don't know much about Jamie or Alexander despite how close I feel to them. I would love to learn everything about them and all of my pack members. I want to recover the memories that were taken from me.

"I was a rogue. My mother and I were banished from our pack because I killed my father. My father was a pack warrior. He became stressed very often due to our pack not being the strongest and rogues often intruded on pack lands. He would beat us to get rid of stress. One day I got fed up and I shifted in a fit of rage and when I came back and had control over my body, my father was dead on the floor and my mother was crying as she hugged me close." Jamie doesn't look at me throughout her speech. She just continues to look forward at her mate. Her smile dampens as she thinks about her past. "The Alpha banished us and we were forced to become rogues."

"Doesn't a mate typically die when the other does?" I learned from Bryson that when one mate dies if they have been together for a long time the other dies as well.

"My father was not my mother's mate. He killed her mate when he decided that my mother was going to take the place of his lost mate. They had only just met a couple weeks before so their bond was not fully formed. My mother used to tell me about how perfect mates are and that she only wished her mate was still alive." Jamie looks up to the sky as if she was praying to see her mother and her mate up there.

"That must have been so hard on your mom." I whisper.

"Yeah it was. But she always told me there was one good thing that came out of her mating with my father. She said that the good thing was me. She always told me how much she never regretted having me and how much she loved me." Jamie doesn't try but just smiles sadly up at the sky. She continues with her story. "We were wondering for a long time when a group of rogues attacked us. We were close to the boarder of this pack but my mother was killed before we could make onto their lands in hope that they would protect us."