|CHAPTER 40|

|Bryson|

"I have two amazing witches that specialize in tracking. Leta is able to track the movement of people through tracing their auras. Nora is able to make herself and other completely untraceable so she can follow the movements of people without being detected. I have had both them already begin tracking Archer as we speak." Manola says as we sit in her office.

Everett is in my lap clutching onto me tightly. She is staring into space and shaking slightly. I pull her impossibly closer trying to stop her shaking but it doesn't.

"Okay thank you so much, Lady Manola." I say and stand up. "I'm sorry to leave fast, but Everett and I need some time alone. Please inform us as soon as you find out any information from Nora and Leta."

I carry Everett, holding her high against my chest as I walk to our room. Logan is following behind us, his eyebrows furrowed. His room is next to ours and he walks into his without a word to us. I know he needs some time to himself knowing that his mate is in danger. But there is hope. Leta and Nora following Archer undetectable means we are a step ahead of him now instead of behind.

I set Everett on the bed and she shifts to rest against the back stone wall, hugging her knees to her chest. Her eyes dark all around the room as if looking for an invisible threat. She doesn't even look at me for long as fear takes over her. She reminds me of when we first got her back. Scared for her life and of everyone because of what he did to her. She's back to the girl that was surrounded by the darkness and needing to be brought to the light. I won't let her fall back into the darkness.

She flinches when I sit down. I flinch at the sight of her cowering slightly from me sitting.

"I'm sorry," she whispers when she notices my flinch. "Bryson."

"It's okay, Little One," I whisper and move closer. "Can I hold you?" I feel the need to ask. I don't want to push her. I know right now her fear is running high. This entire time she has been scared and I know that seeing her tormenter again has pushed that fear over the edge.

"Of course." She scoots closer as well and climbs into my lap. "I'll never be scared of you Bryson. I'm sorry. It's just seeing him – "

I cut her off, "I know Everett, you don't need to explain it to me. I understand."

"How do you understand me all the time?" Everett whispers.

"It's because we are mates. I can feel some of your emotions just as you can feel some of mine. It will be stronger once we finish the mating process and if you gain your wolf back. Mates are meant to be an extension of each other. We are meant to understand every thought and action of one another. And I know that you will not be at peace until he is dead. I'm going to kill him and make this world peaceful for you." I kiss her forehead.

"Thank you Bryson. You have always saved me." Everett places a kiss on my neck before cuddling into my chest. "I hope I can be as good of a mate to you as you are to me one day."

"Everett, you are already the best mate I could ever ask for. I never want you to change. You are incredibly loving, caring, and beautiful, you care more about everyone over yourself, and despite what you have gone through you have continued to live everyday to the fullest. Many people would've given up and succumbed to the darkness. But not you." I whisper and kiss her softly after this. She's holding back tears and I wipe away the one that manages to escape.

"I love you." Everett nuzzles my palm.

"I love you too, mate." I kiss her gently before pulling us to lay down. "Let's take a nap."