|CHAPTER 41|

|Everett|

I remember waking up in pain. It wasn't the worst pain. I had had worst from Archer in the years I was with him. I got out of bed so I wouldn't wake up Bryson. I knew he would want me to wake him up but he needs his sleep. I know how stressed out he is because of this ordeal and I would hate to make him lose sleep.

I curled up in the corner and covered my mouth hoping to muffle my whimpers and yelps but as the hours passed the pain became too much and I heard Bryson get up and run over to me. My bones had already started snapping and I felt them moving and reforming under my skin, sending searing pain across my body. I wanted to apologize to him but I could barely focus on his voice as he talked or his face as he lent over me.

"Everett. I need you to listen to me carefully. You are shifting. Your wolf is beginning to surface. I need to pick you up and carry you outside. This is going to hurt and I'm sorry." I couldn't respond as a bone in my leg snapped and a scream erupts around me.

I remember Bryson picking me up and running out of the caves. Logan was following closely behind him already in wolf form. He brought me to a clearing and Logan laid beside me, his white peppered black fur warm against me.

I begged for Bryson to stop it but I already knew he couldn't stop what was happening. I knew that he wouldn't be able to stop me from shifting into a wolf. There was no force on earth that could stop a wolf's first shift once it started happening. Even the moon goddess herself can't stop a first shift once it has started.

Bryson said such sweet things as my shift continued to happen painfully slow. He talked about laying in the sun and playing together and moving forwards with our lives. I wanted that so much. Everything that Archer had taken from us I was one more step closer to regaining. I can't let the fear I have of him run my life. I need to shift in order to defeat him and prove to him that I am not afraid of him any longer.

Bryson shifted into his beautiful wolf at some point staying in my line of sight. I don't know why he shifted. He laid with his head near mine and licked my cheeks ever so often. I was bathing in his scent of the forest. I loved his scent so much.

When my shift was complete it was like an out of body experience. I was only watching what was happening. I didn't have any control over my body as my wolf tries to stand up but stumbles. She growls and bites at Logan but he is quick to react and so is Bryson. They both growl and she submits to them. Logan leaves after this.

I fall back into my body and I start to jump around the clearing under the full moon. I turn and see Bryson standing proudly in front of me. His shoulders are back his wolf standing tall as he stands down at my small form. I lower my front half and wag my tail before leaping on him. I know I could never take him down but he falls on his side anyways and allows me to nip and tug on his ears. As I grew tired I curled up against his side and he licked my face gently before curling around me.

>>><><<<

It feels strange waking up in my wolf form. I feel one with the environment like I never did before. Warmth is surrounding me and I open my eyes to a glaring light. I blink a few times before looking to see that it is the sun. Bryson is yawning when I look at him. He licks my face gently before standing up and stretching. He's so much bigger then I am. I can almost stand completely under him without my head touching his chest.

He circles me, making sure I am okay before howling. I'm not sure what he is doing but after a few seconds he stops and starts rubbing his face against my neck. I do the same, bathing myself in his sweet scent. Not having a wolf for the majority of my life and shifting so late makes me unsure of what I am supposed to do. I follow Bryson's lead knowing that he will lead me in the right direction.