CHAPTER XXI | MY BIRTHDAY WISH

ELIZABETH'S POV
      I was walking through the street, and waving at everyone I know. The morning breeze was hitting my face, and the sunrise was bringing some heat into Hope Valley. I went to Abigail's cafe and saw Cody going down the stairs with big eye bags and letting a large yawn out of his mouth.
-Oh, Cody! Did you sleep?!
-Not at all. I was very tired, but still couldn't fall asleep.
-You can't go to school like that. Ask Abigail if you can miss school JUST this time. Don't take advantage of your mother's kindness.

-MOOOM- he said hoarsely.

-Yes Cody?- She asked while coming to the kitchen.-Oh, hello Elizabeth! How are you?

-Fine, but...-I looked at Cody.

-Oh my god Cody!- She said in shock- You have to sleep young man. You are missing school today.

             He didn't say a word, he was too tired. He went straight to bed, and it looked like every step he made, was a big effort.

-So, Elizabeth, what do you need?

-I want  4 cookies and 2 scones please

-Coming right up!

-Thank you.

      We talked, laughed and, then, I went back home with Jack's breakfast. I knocked the door, and Jack opened the door with the biggest smile, and his perfect teeth. I gave him his breakfast and he thanked me by making some tea

   After he enjoyed the hot tea,  his scones and his cookies, he walked with me to school. We talked about how Peter was growing up very fast, and how happy we were with our family. The puppies already followed us, so we didn't need leashes anymore.

        Once we arrived, I thanked Jack for coming with me, and gave a kiss to each member of our, temporarily small, family. I rang the bell while watching my handsome husband walk away.

-Hello Mrs Thornton- said Emily

-Hi Emily!

-Good morning

-Oh hi Opal!

      Then George  passed by. He didn't say a word. He was looking down, like the day he arrived, but worse. He looked hopeless, disappointed on something. I would talk to him at recess, I had to start the lesson.

-Okay, open your literature books in page...

-Two hundred and twelve- said Emily smiling, as always

-Yes, that's right, thank you Emily

-My pleasure- she said, which made me smile.

              I helped the little ones to find the page,  and then we  started reading. A lot of children asked the meaning of the words, so I had an idea.

-We are going to do a GLOSSARY. Does someone know what that is?-I said before Opal raised her hand

-Opal?

-Something shiny- she said.

-That is GLOSSY

-Oh

-GLOSSARY is where you write the meaning of the words. The first word can be  GLOSSARY, so, take out a sheet of paper and start making it.

              After some time I rang the cowbell and everyone went outside, except George, because I asked him to stay inside.

-George, I noticed you a little bit down, are you okay?

-...

-Well, if you don't tell me, I won't be able to help.

-It's just that- He said with a breaking voice- Everyone lied to me- He said before he started crying.

     I hugged him and said:

-No, George- I tried to calm him down- Why do you say that?

-Everyone told me that my birthday wish would come true-He said sobbing.

-And what was that wish?

-I want to have a sibling

-And which were your other wishes?

-To have a dog and learn how to ride a horse

-A dog, a sibling and learning how to ride a horse?

-But I'm still an only child, I don't have any pets and if I ride a horse, I...

-Okay!-I stopped him before he said something horrible - Well, I think that maybe I can do something.

-Really?!- He said lifting his chin.

-Yes, but you have to be patient

-Thank you- he said, and hugged me.

        He left the class with a smile that crossed his whole face. The dimples and his front teeth missing were very cute. He opened the door and saw Cody and Opal waiting for him at the door with a baseball, ready to play with him.

       After the class finished, I went to Abigail's cafe to talk to my friend about the little student.

-Hello Elizabeth- she said.

-Hi Abigail!

-What do you want?

-Pie, tea, and a conversation with you.

-Glad to help- She said with a smile

      She got us two slices of pie and some tea, and we sat down by the table and started talking.

-George had a wish, which didn't come true, and I want to make it happen.

-And what was his wish?

-He wanted a dog, learn how to ride a horse, and the hardest part, is that, he wants a sibling

-But,why is it so hard?

-Her mother can't have any more children

-Have you considered adoption?

-I still have to talk to her parents about that. I want to find Lucy. Jack would be full of joy if George's mother adopted her. Since he came back from the Northern Territories, he wanted Lucy to be adopted.

-I think it's a great idea.

- It IS a great idea, however, I have to go to Union City to get her. And the most important thing, ask George's mother if she agrees.

-If you take care of Cody, I can go to union city to get her.

- Thank you, but I think Jack would be glad to pick her up

-That's true- she said laughing- What about the dog?

-The puppies' mother is still missing, if we find her, we can give it to him.

-Well, maybe I can help.

-Thank you

-Jack can teach him how to ride the horse.

-That's perfect.

-Well, let's start getting everything ready.

-Thank you Abigail.

-You're welcome- she said smiling- That's what friends are for.

Frank came to the room smiling, and happy to see the love of his life.

-Hello love- he said kissing Abigail.

-Hello Frank- I said laughing.

-Oh, hello Elizabeth, I'm sorry

-It's fine. And don't worry, I like seeing you two together

-Frank, can you take care of Cody when he wakes up please?- Abigail interrupted

-If he wakes up today- I said, and all of us started laughing

-That's true, but I'll be here if that happens

        Then, we thanked Frank, and as soon as we were ready, we left the cafe, to go to talk to George's parents.