CHAPTER XXII | LET'S MAKE IT COME TRUE

ELIZABETH'S POV

      We were in front of the door for approximately  2 minutes. The longest minutes of my life. We both knew we were scared. What if her mother didn't want to adopt Lucy? We would disappoint George, in a way  that I can't even express. I really hoped my plan woud be successful. Luckily, my friend was there to give me some hope.

-Let's make it come true- she said smiling at me.

     We knocked the door, now confident of ourselves. Sophie, George's mother, opened the door with  a sweet smile, which gave us hope.

-Oh, hello!- She said surprised- Is something wrong  with George?

-Hi! No, everything's okay, I mean, nothing related to school.- I said nervous

-We just want to ask you something.- announced Abigail

-But it IS related to  George.- I said

-Yes, but is related to your family- Abigail specified

-Well, come in- She invited us

             I could notice that she knew we were nervous, and I think that worried her. I sat down in a very comfortable armchair, and I could feel the heat coming from the chimney. She offered us a cup of tea and some  cookies. We waited some minutes, until she sat down, after bringing the tea and the cookies. 

-Well, I was at school, and I noticed George a little bit sad, and dissappointed. I asked him what was happening- I explained

-So, what did he say?

-He said his birthday wishes didn't come true- Abigail continued.

-And which were that wishes?

-Learning how to ride a horse, having a dog, and having a sibling.

-I wish I could help, but...- she said sadly

- I know you can't have anymore children, but we had an idea...

         We narrated how Jack had met Lucy, and she listened carefully. She was really sorry that her parents had died. With a big smile she said:

- I would love to- she said, and the three of us started crying, because everything was too emotional, and we were as happy as Jack would be.- My husband is out of town, but I will surprise him- she said excited- He'll love her. We have been trying to have more children since George was 2 years old.

                 Then, we talked to her about the legal adoption, and everything they should do. After that, we left the house, very proud of ourselves.I could  already imagine Jack going as fast as he could to Union City, looking for that little girl he loved so much,and telling her that she would have a family again.

            I could see the stars shining brighter than ever, and hear the owls hooting and the crickets chirping at the same time, as if they were all in a choire. I could also see the reflection of the moon on the lake, and breathe the fresh  air of the night. After that calming moment  I went back home almost  at the speed of light, because I couldn't wait any longer without telling Jack the good news.

       I arrived at home, to find Jack sitting on the sofa, thoughtful. His concern was remarkable. He was rubbing the lower part of his head, which he always did when he was nervous or worried. I hang my coat on the rack, next to the door, and then, went to sit next to my concerned husband. I looked at him , and I could notice he was lost in his thoughts.

-Jack? Are you okay?- I said, and he "woke up"

-Oh, Elizabeth- he sighed- Yes, I'm fine.

-Sure?- I said holding his hand.

-I was thinking about...

-Lucy?

-Yes - He said concerned- I was thinking... She is alone, and

-Not for long- I said smiling

-What do you mean?- he said with a little hope.

-George's birthday wish was to have  a sibling, and I thought of Lucy. I asked his mother if she wanted to adopt her, and she said yes!- I said almost laughing with excitement 

-What?!- he said surprised, happy, and a mix of all the positive feelings put together- I love you more than anyone and anything in the world- He said, and then he put his hands around me, and thanked me with a kiss.

-I'm glad you like it.- I told him with a smile

-You know what I like?

-What?

-That half smile you have- he said putting his forehead against mine

-And I like your hazel eyes, your smile, everything

-I love you Mrs Thornton

-And I love you Constable- I said kissing him.

          We went to the kitchen, and Jack got the table ready, while I cooked dinner. I gave Jack a white plate ,which had golden decorations, with a chicken pot pie, made with Abigail's recipe. We were eating dinner, when we heard a knock on the door.

-Who can it be?- I asked

- I don't know- he said wondering who was behind the door- Stay here, just in case

           He opened the door and RoseMary ran inside the house, and shouted:

-I have news!

-Lower your voice! Peter is...- I said, but he started crying- WAS sleeping

-Oh, I'm so sorry- she said with a very low voice.

-It's okay, don't worry. I'll go- I offered.

-It's okay, I will go

-No it's fine- I said- Well let's go together- I suggested

-We'll be back- Jack said to RoseMary

      We went upstairs to Peter's nursery, and the moment he saw us, he stopped crying. That wasn't the most important thing. He babbled his two first words "mama" and "dada". We both started crying. We had just lived one of the most important moment of our baby's life. Carson told us that he was going to say that when he was around 6 months old, but it would't have a meaning. We thought we wouldn't we so touched by the first words if it wasn't meaningful, but it was too emotional to hear our baby "calling us".