CHAPTER XXVIII | ROUGH DECISIONS

Elizabeth's POV
   We walked back home, enjoying the landscape. Jack held Peter in his hip and grabbed my hand gently, but I could still feel how strong it was. Peter rested his head on my husband's shoulder and slowly fell asleep. He snored very lightly and that made us giggle. We walked slowly towards our home, while we talked about school, about Jack's day and more.
Once we got home, Jack left Peter upstairs while I started getting dinner ready. It was still early, so I decided I wouldn't put it in the oven yet. It was a pumpkin pie, recipe by Abigail.
Jack came back downstairs and told me Peter was still sleeping like an angel and that he had already fed Nala and Bailey. I could see that because they ran upstairs when they heard the sound of their food falling into their metallic dog plates.
-I have to tell you something... You won't...- Jack started saying, but he was interrupted by a knock on the door.
-Come in!- I said from the distance.
-Hello my friends!- RoseMary said, rushing into the house with her big baby bump.
-RoseMary! Come in!- I said, even though she was already sitting down on the couch.
- Hello RoseMary- Jack said chuckling.
-If you were wondering what I am doing here...- she started- I came here to tell you I'm having a BABY SHOWER- she said excitedly.
-Oh that's great- I said smiling.
-Yes, of course- she said moving her hands.- It is this Wednesday at 6 PM.
-We'll be there- Jack said putting his arm around my waist, smiling at me. I noticed him a little bit worried, though .   
-Well, thank you for your time- she said standing up- Here I have your invitations- she said handing us some cards.
    The cards were decorated beautifully in the edges. They had some drawings that looked like leaves, which surrounded the information. Everything was written in tidy cursive with black ink. Everything was very RoseMary like. 

-Well, goodbye, continue with the things you were doing.- She said leaving the house.

-Goodbye RoseMary. 

      After about 2 hours, Jack and I were in our bed. 

-Are you alright?- I asked him, noticing he was upset. 

-Yes, I'm fine... why?- he said looking at the roof, fidgeting with his hands. 

-Come on, you can tell me anything, Jack.

-Well... Um... Okay...- He sighed, that's why I knew this was serious- Remember how I went to the Northern territories about a year ago?

-Oh, no...Jack.

-Well, that Christmas ... I...I came back because things were getting better there.- He said looking at me with his hazel eyes, full of tears .

-And now everything is like it was at the beginning.

Jack's POV

    It was very hard for me to tell her this . The words wouldn't come out, my voice started breaking, I started crying, my heart was aching . She turned around . She started facing the other side, like she was mad at me... I admit she had the perfect reason . 

-Look Elizabeth, this hurts me as much as it hurts you . Leaving my wife and my son here, and going to the Northern Territories is devastating, but they asked me to report to duty. 

-And what about your duty here? What about Peter and I? What about Hope Valley?- she said with a breaking voice. 

-I know... I haven't...- I started saying, but she interrupted me . 

-What if you get killed there?- she said, now facing me . She was staring at me . Tears were running down her face, just like me .- Now you have a family here, a son . You have your mother, you have Tom... and you have me. You are not alone anymore, you can't go risking your life whenever these people tell you to . I know you go there to save families, but you have to be here for yours too . You have to take care of yourself too, you have to make yourself happy too . 

-Saving these innocent families makes me happy . If I go there, they have a higher chance to be safe again, to continue with their lives . What would happen if this was all the way around? What if Hope Valley was being attacked? We would all want help . 

    I noticed she was getting angrier each time I pronounced a word, that's why I decided to stop talking . 

-I haven't given them an answer, I have one week left .- I said wiping my tears- I love you, Elizabeth .

   She didn't say a word . She just turned around and started sleeping . I knew she was right . I had a wife, a son, a mother, a brother and friends . I would be risking my life, and if I died, they would be devastated .  but it wasn't easy to refuse going there either. Those families didn't deserve that, and I had the opportunity of saving them . I had been trained to protect people, and I had always known it was dangerous, but I had chosen this for a reason .

    It was a hard decision to make. It is always hard to leave your family and friends behind to go to fight . You go there and see people suffering every day . You see people that don't feel safe in their own home . You see them die . You see them being shot, for no reason at all . You even have to say goodbye to very good friends, you have to help them go in peace, and you don't have time to grieve . But at the end, it is all worth it when you realize you have saved hundrends of people . It is all worth it . 

   On the other hand, what would happen to Elizabeth? Would she be able to raise a child alone? What would happen with Peter? He would be devastated when he sees his friends with their fathers . I wouldn't be there to teach him how to play baseball, I would miss a million man-to-man talks, his first girlfriend, just everything . And my wife . It would be the hardest thing for her. Losing the love of her life. I would be destroyed if I lost Elizabeth . My life would be incomplete without her . It would be too much . 

     I fell asleep while I thought about this . I would decide it in the morning . 

SORRY FOR THIS!! I PROMISE THE ENDING WON'T BE BAD!!