CHAPTER XXVII | SCHOOL DAY

That school day was very tiring. All the children were talking throughout the whole class, but I was happy for Michael and Hope. I could see they had already made friends and were having a lot of fun. I loved seeing them smile after all the pain they went through. Those kids had to be adults before even being little children that have fun. I admired how they never lost hope that everything would get better.
-Miss Thornton?- Opal said.
- Oh- I said waking up from my day dream- Yes Opal?
-May we have a recess? Maths make me really tired - she said with a fake yawn, which made me laugh.
- Yes, you may.- I said smiling.
- Thank you Miss Thornton.- She said standing up with brownie on her arms.
     Hope went with her. I could see they were already best friends, and they even had a handshake. They went outside holding hands. They were too cute. Nothing compared to Peter sneezing, of course.
      I went outside and I could smell the fresh air of the afternoon filling my lungs. The birds were making beautiful sounds which made me think the sun was shining brighter than ever. I also smelled the wet grass and felt it touching my toes. I was wearing sandals and the grass was too high for them. I was sitting on the stairs, trying to correct some assignments, when I saw Jack coming with Peter sitting behind his neck. They were both laughing. Peter was so big already. He was 6 months old and I still couldn't believe it. It felt like it was yesterday when Jack looked at me with those hazel eyes, under the moonlight, surrounded by candles, and asked me to marry him. That smile, that kiss, that hug. That is something I'll never forget. I will always remember the night I told him I was expecting a baby, Peter. I remember his face with the biggest smile I've ever seen, and that little tear running down his cheek. I couldn't believe how beautiful my life was.
-Hello Mama- said Jack with a baby voice, shaking Peter's hand.
-Hello little angel.
We all laughed.
-How is your day going?- Jack said.
-Busy- I said chuckling- The children were talking throughout the whole lesson. How was your day?
-Great, actually. But there's something more important I have to tell you...- he was saying, but...
-Jack!- shouted Hope and Michael, running towards him.
-How are my favorite twins?- he said tickling their bellies.
-Excellent- said Hope with a very big smile.
-E-X-C-E-L-L-E-N-T, excellent- spelled Michael.
-Very good! I heard you have an oral lesson tomorrow. You are very ready to get an A.
-I'm always ready to face any challenge- he said posing like a fighter, showing his muscles.
   Then I saw George walking slowly, looking down. I got closer to him. Jack and the twins kept talking and laughing.
-George, what's wrong?
-Tomorrow my new sister is coming home- he said looking at me, his eyes were full of tears.
-Really? Isn't that great?
-Not really- he said making a puppy face.
-Why not? You were really excited about it.
-It's just that...-he said wiping a tear- my parents will love her more her than me.- he said, now crying a lot.
-Oh no...- I said putting him gently on my lap and he laid his face on my shoulder.- They will love you both the same. First they will pay a lot of attention to her, but it's because she will have to get used to living there, and being a part of your family. But Lucy is a really good child. I think you will both have a great time together and you'll really love each other.
-Really? You think so?
- I know so. - I said smiling.
-Thank you Mrs Thornton- he said standing up and wiping the remaining tears on his chin.
-You are welcome George.- I said satisfied with what I had done.
    Then I saw RoseMary coming towards me. She was getting bigger each day.
-Hello my friend!- she said from the distance.
-Hello RoseMary! You...I mean, your baby... is growing fast.
-No need to tell me, I'm HUGE - she said dramatically- but dashing, as always.
- Of course you are.
- Well, there's something more important I have to tell you - she said changing the subject- I was thinking you could do a spring recital. Your students could do a beautiful dance with flowers, and little plants and the sun...- She said with a beaming face.
- That would be great.
-Yes! I was hoping you would agree! Because I've already planned everything!- she said handing me some papers- Look, this is the costume I planned for the girls, this for the boys, and these are the decorations we could hang on the walls. Oh! I missed planning events SO MUCH- she said holding her hands.
-I can see that- I said chuckling.
-And...
-I know- I said interrupting- You have already made up a dance.
- Of course I did! It goes like this...
She moved side to side, moved her hands a little bit, she turned around, jumped and then continued.
-Beautiful.
-Beautiful?-she said "sadly"- it was PERFECT!
-Yes, but I'd rather talk about the costumes. I think that putting petals around the girls' heads is a little... too much.
-Oh...- she said changing her face in disappointment- okay, it's your recital.
    We talked about it for around 5 minutes, until I heard Peter crying in the distance. I told RoseMary that we could continue the next day.
-Hi Peter...- I said holding his little hand- What's wrong?
-He just won't stop crying- Jack said putting him in my arms- Isn't that right little guy?
JACK'S POV
  I really couldn't calm him down. I had already moved him slowly and sang OH DANNY BOY, his favorite song, because of me. But then Elizabeth came and everything went silent. She brought peace to the place. He stared at her with his light blue eyes and then smiled. Her voice just soothed her. He started sucking his thumb. That's something I love about Elizabeth. She was born to be a mother and take care of children. I was so lucky to have this wife. I still couldn't believe how she had chosen ME. I had to tell her something really important.