CHAPTER XXIV | THE EXPECTED REACTION

WITH SOME IDEAS FROM @mili032
LEE'S POV
    I went through the forest as sneaky as I could. I explored the west side, but didn't find anything, until I decided to go the other way, and I definitely made the right choice. In the distance I could see a man pointing a gun at a little boy and a little girl. They both had dark hair and green eyes and were around five years old, so my conclusion was that they were twins. They were wearing torn clothes and crying with fear. I started going closer to save the poor children, but the horse started neighing. At that moment the criminal turned around and started pointing his gun at me. Luckily, my friend arrived to help me.
-Drop the gun!- Jack shouted
The criminal pointed his gun at Jack, and shot. The children covered their eyes and started crying even more. I looked at Jack, who was in pain, but also glad that he only hurt his arm. I grabbed the offender by his hands and put the handcuffs on. Suddenly I saw our wives running towards us.
-JACK!!- Elizabeth shouted worried about his husband- YOU ARE BLEEDING-She shouted again while coming towards us
-Lee? Are you okay?
-Yes honey, I'm fine- I answered kissing her.
Then, Elizabeth went next to Jack, and started talking to him.
-Are you okay?
-Yes, don't worry.
-But you are bleeding- She said watching his arm.
-But I'm fine, we just have to go to the Infirmary so Carson can take the bullet out.
-Okay let's go.- Elizabeth helped Jack to get up.
-Lee, bring the children to the Infirmary with us- Jack told me.
- Right- I said.
I went near the children to take them with me, but they tried to escape. I didn't know what that cruel man did to them. They were pale and wanted to run away, but before they left, I said trying to calm them down:
- It's okay, you'll be safe with us. We will take care of you, I promise.
They came closer and gave me the warmest hug I ever received. Then, RoseMary took the children to the Infirmary, while I left the criminal "behind bars".
ELIZABETH'S POV
     We arrived at the Infirmary and Carson started cleaning Jack's wound. I could notice how Jack was in a lot of pain, so I grabbed his other hand, and he pressed it strongly.
-The bullet is out- Carson announced.
-Finally- Jack said.
-It must have hurt- Carson said wrapping a bandage around Jack's arm.
-Yes- he said chuckling
-Well, come back next week, and I'll check on you.
-Thank you.- my husband said- Can we stay some time until Carson checks on the children please?- he asked me.
-Of course, I'd love to.
      After some minutes RoseMary arrived with the children and behind her, Lee and Faith.
-Hello Love- Carson said getting closer to Faith.
-Children in the room- Lee said "coughing"
-Sorry-Carson said awkwardly
-Since when you two are together?- I asked
-Fifteen days ago- Faith said happily
-Wow, that's a lot! I want to know EVERYTHING, so tell me...- RoseMary started saying, but Carson interrupted. I noticed it was an awkward moment for him.
-Who do we have here?Who are these two adorable children?- He said, but the kids hid behind Lee's leg.
-It's okay- I said holding their hands
      Carson was checking on them when Abigail opened the door. She came with Peter on her hands and Cody next to her.
-I heard voices coming from here, and I supposed little Peter's family was here- she said tickling Peter, who giggled.
-You were right- I said while Abigail put Peter on a bed.
      After that, Abigail left with Cody because the infirmary was too crowded. Carson talked to us while he was checking on the little girl.
-So, RoseMary, how are you feeling?
-Wait, why?Honey, you've been a little sick these last days are you okay?
-Well...Jack how did this happened?- Carson said changing the subject.
-We heard...-Jack started narrating, but Lee interrupted.
-No, no. I want to know what is going on with my wife.
-Well, you like children, am I right?
-Yes, I love children, of course!
-Good, because...
-Wait! Are you pregnant?!-Lee asked excited.
      After that question was made, RoseMary nodded, and her husband gave her the biggest hug ever. At that moment Jack and I looked at each other, knowing that both of us wished that was happening to us. Once Carson finished checking on the children, he said:
-Everything's fine. You just have to put this cream on the injuries on their backs.
-So, I guess we are taking care of them until they find a family.
-We are- I said smiling.
     Jack picked up the little boy, with the healthy arm, and I picked Peter up and held the little girl's hand. We walked home through the night sky, and once we were there we gave them some vegetables and chicken steak. After that, Elizabeth fed Peter and put him to sleep. As soon as she finished, we started talking to the twins. They were both very thin and had messy hair.
-How old are you?- Jack asked curiously, but they stayed silent. They just showed five fingers.
-What are your names?
-Hope- The girl said.
-Michael- The boy said.
-Where is our father?- Hope added.
-Is he your father?
-I don't know, but I call him that way because he gave us breakfast and was the only man I knew.
-Do you know Michael?
-No- He replied.
-Where is he?- Hope repeated.
-He is locked- Jack said.
-Why?- Michael said.
-Because he was pointing at you with a gun and he hurt me- Jack answered.
- We deserved it.- Hope said looking down.
JACK'S POV
        I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I was glad they weren't under that man's custody. How could a father educate his children, in a way he makes them understand they deserve to be hit when they behave incorrectly? I couldn't even imagine what that man had done.
-No- Elizabeth said hugging them- no one ever deserves to be hit.
      I could notice she was really worried about the both of them. After some minutes, once they had already taken a bath, Elizabeth put the cream on their injuries on their backs and then they went to sleep, and Elizabeth read a bedtime story. Then, we got ready to go to bed and started talking about the twins:
-I can't believe how hard their past is.- my wife said.
-Me neither. I don't understand how someone can be so hard at their children.
-They will be fine now. We will have to give them a lot of love.
-I'm sure we will. But we have to find them a family.
-I love you Elizabeth.- I said putting my arms around her.
-I love you too.- she said, and then we went to sleep
ELIZABETH'S POV
I had the perfect person in mind. She is kind, forgiving and loving, just what these children need. She will be very happy to have little kids to take care of.