Chapter XXXI | TEACH ME HOW TO SAY GOODBYE

Elizabeth's POV

      I miss him. I miss him everyday. I missed him for 2160 hours. Each days gets harder and harder not to cry. Each time I think of him, think of the moment he left I burst into tears. I've written 43 letters, no answer. I need to know something from him. I needed to hear him say that everything was going to be fine and that I could raise Peter by myself for some time. I needed to hold his hand, lay down in bed with him and rest my head on his chest so that I could go through this. It is ironic, but it is true. I needed him to stick me back together, to heal me and to stop my heartache. I just needed him to be by my side, just standing there and it wasn't even necessary for him to talk. His presence was enough to comfort me.

My dearest Jack,

     I miss you everyday . I'm worried that you are not answering my letters, and yes, I know the mailing system there is terribly slow, but it has been 3 months without an answer, so I'm picturing the worst case scenario . I go to the mercantile everyday expecting a letter in reply, but I've received none yet .  

    I hope everything is going as planned and you are winning the battles you have against the criminal gangs . I hope you'll be here in no time and everything goes back to normal before I  even know it . If you read this letter, tell me how are you.

    Here everything is going good, despite missing you . Peter is doing great; He is still the happy little boy he was when you left. He finds very funny when people take out their tongues. It never fails to make him laugh . Your heart would melt if you could hear his laugh . Lee's sawmill is doing excellent, as usual. Their baby was born and it's a girl. You can imagine RoseMary is over the moon. She gets to pick different dresses for her. She is called Charlotte and has Lee's dark hair and RoseMary's light blue eyes. She is precious. Jesse is planning to propose to Clara, but he hasn't summoned all the courage it requires. RoseMary is planning to give him a little push to make things faster.

    Remember I love you and miss you more than anyone in this world .

                                                                                                         I hope to see you soon,

                                                                                                                                                                   Elizabeth. 

         He missed so many things already. He missed Charlotte's birth, Jesse's proposal, Peter's first birthday and first Christmas' and more. I needed him, we all needed him. I just got two letters in a whole year. Everyday I woke up scared to find a mountie at the door, who would tell me that he didn't make it, that he had been shot, that he was missing, that he died in a flood, anything .

Dearest Jack,

               I'm writing to you once again to see how everything is going there and how much longer you have to stay. Like I've written on my other hundred letters, I miss you greatly and everyday I feel empty without yo...

     I never got to finish that letter because, unexpectedly, someone knocked at the door . I opened the door, getting ready for the worst, when a man in a bright red suit started saying something . I was shaking, my heart was racing and my hands were sweating . Was my most frightening nightmare not just a dream anymore?

-Are you Mrs Thornton?- he said with a manly voice .

-Yes .

-I have news for you .