CHAPTER XXV | THE NIGHTMARE

ELIZABETH'S POV
Everything was dark and silent. I could only feel Jack next to me and hear someone sobbing. First, I went to Peter's nursery and saw him sleeping like a little angel. The sobbing continued, so I ran to the room where the twins were staying temporarily. There, I lit a candle and saw Michael crying. I went closer to the bed to try to comfort him.
-I'm sorry, I'll never cry again- he said wiping his tears.
-No, it's okay- I said holding his hand.- What's wrong?
-I had a nightmare- he said hugging me.
-Don't worry, it was just a dream- I said rubbing his back.-I have an idea.
-What?- he said, still hugging me.
-We can go to the kitchen to drink a glass of warm milk, so you fall asleep easily and have sweet dreams.
-Okay- he said, now holding my hand.
We left the room quietly, so Hope wouldn't wake up, and went to the kitchen. Once we were there, I put some milk in a kettle, and while I was waiting, I sat down on a chair next to Michael. He narrated his nightmare, which was too scary for a little kid, and once the milk was warm, I poured it on two different glasses.
-Are you married to Jack?
-Yes, and we have a son.
-Oh! The baby? What's his name?
-Peter.
-I would like to have a mother, just like Peter.
-But, you have a mother.
-Really?!- he said excited.
-Everyone does.
-So, where is she? Is she gone?
-Probably, but now you will have two mothers- I said smiling.
-Two whole mothers for me? Is that possible?
-Yes. You have your biological mother and a new one, that will adopt you.
-Is that you?!- He said excited.
-No...- I said sad to end with his happiness.- But I can be your aunt, like your third mother.
-Really?! Thank you third mother- he said hugging me, but then he yawned.
-Do you want to go to sleep?
-Yes, please.
We went upstairs and the cutest thing happened. I tucked him in and then read him a bedtime story. I was about to leave when he said:
-Third mom.
-Yes?
-Can I sleep with you?- he said in the cutest voice.
-Sure, come with me.
-But, can Hope come too?- he said with puppy eyes- I don't like leaving her alone.
-Okay, but wake her up gently- I said.
-Hope- He said touching her shoulder, and she woke up.
-What's wrong?- she said sleepy.
-Nothing, I'm going to sleep with Miss Thornton, are you coming?
-Can you? And, can I?
-Yes, come.- He said grabbing his hand.
We went to our bed and Jack woke up.
-Elizabeth?- He said waking up.
-Yes.
-What are you doing up?
-Nothing, but the children are sleeping with us.
-Okay- he said moving a little bit.
Michael and Hope slept between Jack and me because I would probably have to stand up if Peter started crying. It wasn't very comfortable but at least Michael would sleep happy to know he was protected.
It was a sunny morning, the birds were singing, the sun was up, the children were sleeping like angels but my husband was missing. I stood up, but I still couldn't find him. I went to his side of the bed and found him sleeping on the floor.
-Jack- I said almost laughing.- What are you doing?
-Trying to sleep- He said smiling while I helped him get up.
-Don't you have a horrible back pain?
-No, I got used to it in the Northern Territories. Oh, about that, how is Lucy's legal adoption going?
-Perfect! If everything goes as planned, tomorrow Sophie will be able to sign the papers for the closed adoption.
-That's great! Everything is happening so fast. Thank you, really.
-My pleasure.
-I can't believe she is finally getting a...- he started saying, but Bailey started licking his foot and barking.
-I guess he's hungry- I said before Nala came running and started playing with Bailey.
     They were both growing up very fast, just like Peter. I couldn't believe he was almost 7 months old, neither that  1 year and 4 months ago I was telling Jack I was pregnant. I felt like it had been yesterday when I married Jack, or when he left Hope Valley, to go to fight in the Northern Territories, and I can still remember that deep sadness I felt when I saw him going away on his horse. After that meditation, Nala started barking, and I that woke the twins up.
-Good Morning- Hope said.
-Good Morning- Michael repeated.
-How did you sleep?- Jack asked.
-Excellent- they said at the same time.
-Do you want to eat breakfast?
-Please-Hope said.
-I have a hole in my stomach- Michael said.
-Well, wait here and I'll call you when it's ready.
    I left the room and went downstairs to make breakfast I made some toasts, put some jelly on the table, and poured orange juice in two glasses and some coffee for Jack and me. Then, I baked some eggs and some bacon and went upstairs to tell everyone that breakfast was ready. Once I was there, I saw Jack lying down on the floor, laughing out loud. I saw how Michael and Hope were tickling him.
-Let's make a deal- he said smiling.
-We'll think about it.- Hope said.
-So, what's this deal?
-You stop tickling me, and I'll make you fly.
-Only if you do it twenty times- Hope said negotiating.
-Five.- Jack tried to lower the number.
-Fifteen.- Michael changed.
-Eight-Jack offered.
-Ten.- Hope suggested.
-Deal- the three of them said and shook hands.
-I'll go first!- Hope said.
-You always do everything first.- Michael complained.
-You will both get to do it, it's the same.- Jack said.
     He lifted Hope and started spinning and moving her around and that made them laugh. Then, I waited until Jack had done the same with Michael because if I didn't, it would be unfair. After he finished, I told them breakfast was ready and we went downstairs, where I left food for Bailey and Nala and then ate breakfast.

Jack's and Elizabeth's love storyOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara