CHAPTER XXIII | FAMILIES GETTING BIGGER

ROSEMARY'S POV
I was thinking about Lee's reaction. Was he going to be happy? Or sad? Or angry? In that case, would he leave me? I didn't think so... I was in my deepest thought when my friends started coming downstairs, shouting.
-Say it again- I heard them both saying.
-Da-Da - Jack said slowly.
-Ma-Ma - Elizabeth said after him.
-YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT JUST HAPPENED- They both shouted
-What?!- I said faking my excitement
-Peter babbled his first words!- Jack said, tickling Peter gently.
At that moment I imagined Lee, with a smile as big as Jack's, when our baby said it's first words. Once more, I got lost in my thoughts.
-RoseMary?- asked Elizabeth worried- Are you okay?
-Uh... - I said reacting- Yes, perfect- I replied with a fake smile.
ELIZABETH'S POV
I noticed that her excitement and her smile were fake. She was a very good actress, but this time, something was really bothering her. That's why I said:
-Sure?
-Yes, perfectly fine- my friend replied, faking once more
-Jack, could you please take Peter upstairs with you?- I asked him, putting Peter on his arms.
-Of course- he said, sure that something was going on.
I waited until Jack left, so I could be alone with RoseMary, and she would tell me what happened.
-What's wrong RoseMary?
-I need help...
-With what?
-Well...Do you remember how last time I was here, I didn't accept the chicken pot?
*FLASHBACK*
-Hello RoseMary- I said opening the door
-Hello
-Well, I have some chicken pot, would you like some?
-Yes, please
I put RoseMary's plate with food in front of her.
-Thank you but, I don't want it anymore
-Are you okay?
-I'm not feeling too good.
-Well, let's go to the Infirmary
-No, it's fine. I just have to rest.
*END OF FLASHBACK*
-Yes.
-I went to the Infirmary
-And what did Carson say?
-He said I'm pregnant!- She said, now truly excited
-CONGRATULATIONS!!- I said giving her the biggest hug ever- But, are you happy about it?
-Kind of
-Why?
-I don't know how Lee will take it.
-But, don't worry about, he has always wanted children. He loves children. You just have to find a good way to tell him, so he will remember it for the rest of his life.
-That's right! I have a perfect idea! Thank you Elizabeth!- She said excited, like always.
     Once RoseMary left, I went upstairs,anxious to meet RoseMary's and Lee's baby, but tired. I got a shower, got dressed, and left the bathroom to see Jack waiting for me on the bed. I laid next to him, and he put his arms around me and said:
-Sleep tight.
-I love you
-I love you more.
        Everything was silent until a noise was heard. It had been a shot. I was sure.
  Jack jumped out of bed and ran to Peter's nursery. He picked him up and put him on my arms.
-Elizabeth, stay here. Close the windows and the doors, and stay indoors. I'll go outside to see if everything's okay.
-Be safe-I told him worried.
-I will.
JACK'S POV
   I was opening the door when Lee found me leaving the house.
-Jack, I heard the shot.Do you want me to help you searching for the criminal?-Lee said.
-Go through the west side of the woods. I'll ll go through the east side.
- If you hear something, follow the noise.
     I grabbed a horse and a gun and rushed towards the woods. After some minutes, I heard a scream, which was ended by a shot. I didn't know if the person had been killed, or just threatened.
ROSEMARY'S POV
      I was was panicked. I didn't know what to do. Should I stay inside like Lee said? Or should I look for him, and make sure it wasn't him who had been shot? I decided to go to Elizabeth's and discuss it with her. I knocked on the door, and Elizabeth shouted scared:
-Who is there?
-RoseMary- I shouted back.
      I heard how she came running and Peter started crying. She calmed him down while opening the door.
ELIZABETH'S POV
       I was thinking about Jack and Lee. One of them could have been shot, and dead. I didn't expect  RoseMary. She came in running and shouting that she was afraid that one of our husbands had been shot.
-What should we do?
-Stay safe.
-And let one of our husbands die?
-Maybe they aren't hurt.
-But, what if they are?
-RoseMary! You are pregnant, you have to stay safe! I'll go.
-And you have a son!- she said trying to convince me to come.
-Okay, fine, I'll take Peter to Abigail's.
     We went to Abigail's cafe as fast as we could. Once we arrived I knocked on the door and Abigail said:
-Who's there?!
-Elizabeth, Peter and RoseMary- I answered while she opened the door.
-What are you doing here?! Come in...- Abigail invited us.
-We are going to look for Jack and Lee, and we need you to look after Peter.
-What? It's dangerous!- she answered worried.
-We heard a shot, and perhaps it hit one of them.
-Okay, go, I'll take care of Peter.
-Thank you- We both answered.
       I gave Peter a kiss and left Abigail's house. For precaution, I told her to close the doors and windows, and stay indoors, just like Jack did. I felt guilty for disobeying Jack, but I preferred that rather than one of them dying.