12: "Lance and Hunk, Emotional Bodyguards."

The Red Top's atmosphere was a nice change from school. Of course, it was a Saturday, so Pidge had already agreed over text the night before that she'd tutor Allura in the evening. Pidge was going to cherish the morning away from everything. The diner was pretty close to empty again, thankfully, so it felt normal and acted as a place to destress. Pidge sat with Lance on one side and Hunk on the other as usual. The abnormal thing was her having her arms crossed on the counter with her chin resting on her top arm, rather than sitting up normally. She was too taxed to sit up normally.

"So, how was everyone's weeks?" Hunk questioned as though he hadn't talked to them in person in less than 24 hours. He took a sip of water, water being the only thing the three of them had so far.

"The most exciting part of the week was exploding some chemicals in lab," Lance sighed, "so my week was boring. How 'bout you, big man?"

Hunk squinted his eyes slightly but went on to answer, his glowing grin immediately returning. "It was good. Mr. Ulaz brought up robotics club a couple of times; that felt nice." Hunk took another sip of his water. "He said I'd be a great addition to the team!"

Lance turned to Pidge. "How about you, Lesbean?"

Pidge groaned, lifting her head. "That about sums it up: lesbian. A small, unimportant, disappointed lesbian." She gave a little huff and put her head back down.

"Cheer up, Pidgeon." Lance patted Pidge's back. "You may be small and full of fury, but you aren't unimportant. Allura needs you for tutoring and she enjoys your company. That's pretty important!" Lance gave a smile.

Pidge put her cheek on the counter so she could look up at Lance, his smile putting a little bit of joy to flow through her veins. Lance's smile just had that kind of relieving power. That relieved joy quickly vanished since her thoughts didn't vanish. Pidge let out a sigh, darting her eyes away from Lance again. "I'm not Plaxum's level of importance to her."

"Hey, everything will be okay," Hunk quietly spoke up, reaching a hand out to grab Pidge's shoulder and give it a small squeeze.

Lance put his hand on Pidge's other shoulder. "You've got your emotional bodyguards here for you!"

Lance received both sets eyebrows raised.

"Emotional bodyguards?" Pidge questioned in a flat tone, narrowed eyes and a frown directed at Lance.

Hunk hummed and put one arm over his chest and used the other hand to hold his chin. "Hm, I guess it's fitting." Hunk gave his glowing grin. "We'll always be here for you, Pidge."

"Lance and Hunk, Emotional Bodyguards." Lance held his fists out and made motions back and forth with them as he exclaimed in a serious tone, though it was clear he was kidding. "Fighting the crimes and evils of Pidge's brain and heart."

Hunk held his arms out with straight hands jabbing the air as he joked, too. "Helping to save the humanity and intelligence that make Pidge."

Lance put a fist in front of Pidge and nodded at Hunk, Hunk nodding back and sticking his fist next to Lance's. "Go, bodyguards!" they both chanted, throwing their hands up. They both looked to Pidge with excited expressions.

Their expressions were opposite of Pidge's bored, hopeless expression, though it shifted as Pidge let their excitability control her; she let go of her misery and enjoyed Lance's and Hunk's ridiculousness, grinning with cheerful eyes.

"Thanks, guys."

They both put their hands on Pidge's shoulders again.

"No problemo," Lance said, unsurprisingly getting an eye-roll from Pidge afterwards.