37: "Let's go."

"So, did you end up needing meds?" Lance asked.

The room was now empty except for Pidge and Lance. Pidge was sitting in a chair pulled up next to his bed, holding Lance's hand. There were two minutes left until Pidge was going to be kicked out. Hunk and Plaxum had packed up the tote bag and left the basket of presents on the bedside table for Lance to go through on his own, a list of what was from who included. The room's lights had been dimmed on Lance's request, his head having started hurting a few minutes before everyone started packing up. Keith was the first to leave, his father having angrily called him about not being home when his dad got home, so he had to rush off ten minutes before 7. Plaxum and Hunk packed everything up and left three minutes before 7, Allura in tow. Pidge and Lance hadn't even had a minute to themselves and it was already awkward, the two of them avoiding eye contact by Lance staring at his lap and Pidge staring at his blanketed legs in front of her.

"No," Pidge laughed lightly. "I got sick the day after, but nothing too serious."

There was a pause between them as Lance readjusted in his bed. "How are things between you and Allura?"

"What do you mean?" Pidge questioned blankly.

"Have you confessed yet?"

"No."

Another pause as Lance took a moment to think. He then chuckled, grinning solemnly at the ceiling. "I didn't traumatize you and make you need therapy, too, did I?"

Pidge couldn't help but let out a light laugh, too. "Yeah, honestly, I'm scarred." She finally broke the silent no-eye-contact rule, looking at Lance with a grin. "But I'm more scared about you going forward than anything needing therapy."

There was another pause, Lance's gentle grin falling into a flat out solemn expression. "I'm sorry," he whispered.

Pidge shook her head and looked away again, her own grin dropping as her grip on his hand tightened. "I was so scared you were never coming out of the water," she whispered back, tears building up. "At the end of the day everyday, you and our friends' survival is all I want, even if I never tell you guys that."

"Being a teen with hormones and no thought process to actions sucks," Lance whined, both of them cracking grins at the end and laughing together.

The laughter died down, silence filling the space again.

Pidge decided she'd be the one to break the silence this time. She cleared her throat, a blank expression replacing her grin. "So, you had feelings for Allura," she stated without adding a question, feeling too awkward to add anything else as she looked up at Lance.
Lance got what she was getting at. "All the time I've spent with Allura had me falling for her while things weren't going too great for me and Keith. It was an annoying rebound feeling." He finally looked back at Pidge. "I'm sorry."

Pidge's eyes dropped into a squint. "You're stupid for thinking you need to apologize."

Lance rolled his eyes, laughing. "Whatever. I'm good now." Lance turned his head, grinning at the folded paper sticking out of his basket. "Keith was finally clear." Lance turned his head back, winking at Pidge. "Allura is no longer needed."

Pidge rolled her own eyes, grinning too. "You're fine, Lance. You have nothing to worry about. I don't care that you liked her." She then smirked. "I know you wouldn't be able to win her over like I can."

Lance's grin soured into a pout, him giving a huff and looking away from her. "You should go."

"Oh come on, it was a joke, I didn't mean it" Pidge pleaded, holding Lance's hand up with both of her hands.