32: "It'll be okay."

The Red Top had a dirt path behind it. The sun was setting, but it was a Saturday, so the three teens skipped along the path and followed it, curious of where it led to. The shortest one kept falling behind, having to push stomach-length strands of light brown hair out of her face and having to squint all the time.

"Guys, look!" the second tallest, or second shortest, yelled back to the other two while pointing ahead with a tan finger. "There's a lake here!"

The tallest slowed, giving the girl a metal smile against dark skin—braces. "You okay?"

"Yeah," the shortest huffed, pushing her hair behind her ears and squinting again. "Where's the lake? How is there a lake back here?"

The tallest squinted ahead in confusion. "Lance, I think that's just a pond."

The second tallest gasped, his walking turning into running with major, childish excitement in his voice. "There's even a bridge!"

The tallest and the shortest caught up to the boy already standing in the middle of the small bridge, the shortest still stuck squinting unendingly while continuing to push her hair behind her ears and the tallest leaning on the railing of the bridge.

"Yep. Definitely a pond," the tallest commented while staring down at the water.

The shortest squinted over the railing. "Hunk, how deep is it? I can't tell."

"Probably about twelve or fourteen feet, I think," the tallest estimated.

"You really need to get glasses soon, Pidge," Lance commented.

The shortest groaned, squinting up at Lance. "I had no idea."

Hunk chuckled while Lance crossed his arms on the railing and huffed, "Just saying."

There was a pause between the three of them. Pidge sighed, putting her own arms on the railing while trying to make out the sky. It was sunset; it was supposed to be pretty. All she could see was a big blob of orange in the middle of streaks of green and blue below and pink and white above, the green and blue being trees and water whereas the pink and white were the sky and clouds right then.

She looked at Lance, whose face she could barely see the details of. "Have you figured out a way to come out to your mom yet?"

Lance sighed. "No."

"Maybe get pink, blue, and purple flowers and put a note in it," Hunk suggested.

"Or you could bake a cake saying 'I put the bi in bitch.' Seem like something you'd do," Pidge offered with a shrug before a smirk took over her face.

Lance rolled his eyes, putting his chin in one hand. "You're lesbian, aren't you?"

Pidge nodded.

"How did you come out?" Lance asked.

Pidge shrugged again. "I just did."

"Why not tell her plain and simple like Pidge did?" Hunk jumped in again with a smile.

Lance sighed, looking out at the water. "I don't know. That's... scary." Pidge snorted while Hunk chuckled, both of them getting glares from Lance. Especially Pidge, which was blatant as he defended, "Hey! It's not my fault I'm as open with my mom as you are, uh... Lesbean!"

Pidge knit her eyebrows at him. "Lesbean? That's the best you could come up with?"

"Oh," Hunk drew out in realization. He put his fist in his palm. "It's because she's short and she's a lesbian."

Pidge punched both of them at the same time. Perks of being in the middle.

"Okay, sorry, sorry," Hunk muttered as he rubbed his arm.