18: "You watch me."

"Good morning, class," Shiro yawned.

Everyone groaned. Wednesday morning was also stormy, which was putting everyone in a bad mood and back to sleep.

"If you recall, we started this unit by having our dear Pidge take all of class talking about the Hanson-Holt expedition of '97. Well, today we're going to briefly," Shiro eyed Pidge, "revisit the expedition and then continue along the timeline."

Pidge, surprisingly, was too tired and out of it to interrupt at all during class. She had spent the night looking at conspiracy theory after conspiracy theory, which she yawned to Lance when he questioned her eyebags and quietness as the bell rang.

"No regrets," she ended her story, getting up.

"Pidge." Shiro's voice caught Pidge's attention. Shiro sighed with a concerned expression. "Are you sure you're ready for tomorrow? I'm not going to force you to sit through it."

Pidge put on the most sincere grin she could manage with her stiff face. "I'm sure."

"What are we talking about?" Hunk questioned frankly.

"Pidge thinks she can sit through hearing about the Hanson-Holt expedition of 2017," Lance grumbled. Everyone looked at Lance with wide eyes. He crossed his arms and cocked his chin. "I know things. I just choose to not think."

"I'm not sure it's a choice," Pidge said with a blank face, attempting to make everyone joke around and distract them from the original subject.

"It is," Lance huffed. "I choose to not think and do stupid things. It's more fun that way." He looked down at her with a sincerely serious expression. "You, however, shouldn't choose to be stupid and sit through class tomorrow."

Pidge gave him a serious expression in return. "Lance, I will be fine."

"Lance is right," Shiro cut in.

"Pidge, you should sit this one out," Hunk gently advised.

"You shouldn't do this." Lance's stern, sure tone contrasted Hunk's, as did his body language. His arms were simply at his side. Lance's lack of a dramatic display showed he was as serious as it got for him.

She gave the two of them glares. "I'm ready." She then looked at Shiro with a blank expression. "I'll be in class tomorrow." To prove her determination, she marched away from the three boys off to tech class.

Lance and Hunk quickly followed after. A silence sat between them for a good three seconds before Hunk sighed and Lance had an outburst.

"You're making a mistake," he blurted.

"This isn't good for you," Hunk added.

"Guys, I'll be fine, really," she said as gave them both grins. "I appreciate your concern, but I'll be fine."

"Pinky-promise?" Hunk offered his pinky with the most serious expression Pidge had ever seen him muster.

Pidge snorted and interlocked her pinky with his. "Pinky-promise."

Despite her usual way of acting, the weird feeling from the day before still lingered in Pidge. She looked over at Lance, who simply gave her a stern glare before looking away. They got to the computer lab and Lance made a show of angrily taking his seat despite his silence, which unsettled everyone. Pidge rolled her eyes and sat down next to him.

"So," she began as she logged herself in on her computer, "are you going to tell us what's got you so much more emotional than usual?"

"Uh, you." Lance stared daggers at Pidge.