39: "It's on, Bi Giraffe."

Did Pidge respond to Allura's texts? No. Did Pidge pick up Allura's calls? Absolutely not. Anxiety overtook her in the morning, leaving her to avoid any texts or calls from Allura for a week.

But today, that was forced to change.

Pidge sat in bed and looked down at her phone in her lap, the cartoon Saturn charm dangling from her neck over her long-sleeve shirt. She was sorrowfully grinning for a completely different reason than Allura.

Voltron Club™

January 3rd, 2018, 6:18 p.m.

Losershooter: OMG

Losershooter: O M G

Losershooter: KEITH KISSED ME

Losershooter: EN LOS LABIOS

Losershooter: EN.

Losershooter: LOS.

Losershooter: L A B I O S.

Cookie Monster: that means on the lips right??

Losershooter: Y E S

Cookie Monster: congrats!!

Losershooter: i can't believe my first kiss was with someone who's a crossdressing mullet emo

Pidge took a deep, slow breath as she read the messages between her two best friends, in disbelief it was already five days ago. There wasn't much texting in the group chat since, seeing as Lance was too sick to interact much, being burdened with therapy of whatever kind and doctors of all sorts to suck up his energy and leave little for him to use on interacting. But rereading the messages she did have from her two best friends left her with a bittersweet feeling.

She was going back to school without one of them.

She sighed to herself, closing her phone and immediately turning it back on to check the date. 7:24 a.m. on January 8th, 2018. She hopped off her bed and grabbed her sweatshirt off of her desk chair, her desk conveniently placed along the wall in between her bed and the front door to her room while her dresser sat opposite her bed. She shoved her phone in her back pocket, slipping her sweatshirt on and zipping it up. She then grabbed her backpack from leaning up against the leg of her desk and headed downstairs to get driven to school.

The drive was pretty quiet, a typical drive with her mom before school. The only difference was that bittersweet feeling was lingering in her veins. Classes weren't going to be nearly as fun without Lance. And she just wanted him to be doing better already. It was ridiculous how okay he could seem in conversation, but according to his charts, he was doing so poorly that multiple doctors were genuinely worried about his recovery. Stepping out of the car back into the chilly air still didn't snap her body out of its heavy feeling. She sighed under her breath before giving her mom a forced grin and waving, walking off so she wouldn't be late for homeroom at 7:40.

Homeroom didn't help her overcome the bittersweet feeling, but seeing that Mr. Shirogane still had the Tickle Me Elmo in the front of his room did. She took her seat next to Hunk, the seat on her left empty. The bittersweet feeling hit her hard again, only having left her for the second she snorted at the Tickle Me Elmo. She looked to Hunk, hoping his bright smile would wash away the feeling so she could focus somewhat in class; Hunk, however, had the same feeling painting his face. Pidge put a hand on his arm for a second, both of them looking at the front of the room as Shiro started class. She knew she could at least reach Hunk the slightest bit by pressing her hand against his forearm to tell her she was there for him, as if he didn't already know that. Both of them being down took a toll on them both, Hunk increasingly growing more and more disgruntled while Pidge's thoughts were intruded by the empty seat beside her and of the parking garage and New Year's.