44: "Finally!"

Midterms: the best time to freak out, try to relax with friends, and have an existential crisis. Thankfully for Pidge, their first midterm wasn't anxiety-provoking.

Hunk stretched with a relieved sigh, a smile on his face as usual. "That test was a breeze!"

"All English exams are a breeze," Pidge groaned, rubbing her eyes. "Ugh, writing so much hurt my eyes."

A hand was put on Pidge's shoulder, Pidge looking up to find Allura looking down at her worriedly. "Are your eyes alright? Do you need to go to the nurse?"

Pidge shook her head, turning red from looking at Allura's eyes. The butterflies were back and somehow worse than they were before yesterday. "I-I'm fine, really."

"Oh! I got a text from Lance," Hunk beamed, typing away. "He was wondering if we want to hang out and help him study for midterms."

"He's still on bed rest though, isn't he?" Allura questioned.

Hunk looked up, his heart-warming expression catching both sets of eyes. "He got cleared today. He can come to school Wednesday!"

"It's quite odd that you have midterms today and tomorrow and then Monday and Tuesday rather than all this week," Allura commented with a pensive look.

Pidge snorted. "It's America. Did you expect it to be logical?"

Allura cleared her throat. "Either way, why don't we meet Lance at the diner?"

"I'll text him!" Hunk said cheerily, looking back down at his phone.

Allura's eyes narrowed, a malevolent grin forming. She leaned her head down to whisper next to Pidge's ear, pointing at a girl at her locker. "Should we get Hunk to ask Shay to join us?"

Pidge smirked up at Allura. "I like your thinking." She waited to speak again until they'd walked a little closer, then tapping Hunk's shoulder and pointing at Shay. "Hey, since we're about to pass her anyway, why don't you ask Shay to join us at the diner?" Her grin of a smirk turned into an evil smile. "I'm sure no one would object."

Hunk pouted. "What did I do to deserve this treatment?"

Pidge shrugged, her typical blank expression returning. "You chose us as friends."

"Come on, Hunk!" Allura encouraged with a wide, endearing smile. "It would be so much fun if she joined us as well!"

Hunk sighed, turning red while averting his eyes and rubbing the back of his neck. "I don't know... She doesn't seem like the type of person to go to diners with large friends groups."

Pidge gave him a disappointed stare with narrowed eyes and a frown. "Large? If we bring her, that makes six people plus Keith whenever he can talk."

"Six?" Allura questioned with a puzzled look, holding her fingers up and counting silently. "Who am I forgetting?"

"Well, if we invite Lance on his first day off, Plaxum is going to come, too," Pidge explained with a groan, jealousy rising. "It's inevitable."

Pidge shook her head a little, surprised at herself. She was thankful she shook her head after saying it was inevitable; it would have seemed like it was part of her explanation rather than at her own thoughts. Why would she be jealous of Plaxum?

"I love you."

Pidge's heart twisted while her eyes widened and her cheeks turned bright red. Her heart beat came back after a second while blood seemingly scraped the insides of her veins, leaving a burning sensation. She looked down at her feet with a gulp, trying to stop everything and shove the idea that she and Allura were dating away. It would take a while for Pidge to not get overly embarrassed and giddy about the relationship.