46: "Some situations call for screaming like a banshee."

Their screaming got the attention of the two men. Pidge running with her arms behind her also got the attention of the two men.

"Weeb," Matt scoffed under his breath, glaring Pidge down as she approached him.

"What are you doing here?!" Pidge shouted, stopping in front of him and pouting at him. "You didn't tell us you were coming into town!"

"Well what are you doing here?" Matt questioned, very clearly annoyed. "I was going to surprise you and mom again." Matt sighed, chuckling a little and grinning. "I guess that plan has been foiled."

"You can still surprise Colleen," Mr. Shirogane reassured.

"That's true, but it would have been more fun to surprise both of them." Matt looked back at Pidge and smiled. "So, what are you doing here?"

"Midterms week. English was this morning," Pidge explained bluntly. She looked down, finding interlocked hands. "So, uh," she pointed down while looking back up at Matt with narrowed eyes, "are you going to elaborate?"

Mr. Shirogane chuckled at Matt. "You never told her?"

"You're her history teacher right now!" Matt hissed worriedly. "Why would I have told her?"

Pidge sighed, crossing her arms. "How long has this been going on for?"

"A month as of today," Mr. Shirogane bubbled.

"Ugh, on Christmas? That's so cheesy, but whatever," Pidge groaned. She then took a step forward and leaned in, giving him a stare of death. "You hurt my brother, I hurt your reputation."

Matt laughed, grabbing the back of Pidge's shirt and gently pulling her away from Mr. Shirogane. "You don't need to worry, Pidge; Takashi has been good to me."

Pidge looked at him with disgust. "You're calling him Takashi now?"

Mr. Shirogane laughed. "Only sometimes. He still calls me Shiro most of the time."

"And I'm stuck with Mr. Shirogane," Pidge groaned.

"Well, we're not in school right now," Mr. Shirogane pointed out, still beaming. "As far as anyone is concerned, we're just family friends bumping into each other unexpectedly."

"Fine. But it still stands." Pidge got in close again. "You hurt him, I hurt your career."

"Your brother is dating our history teacher?" Hunk questioned from behind Pidge, getting everyone's attention as he walked Lance over—one of Lance's arms slung over Hunk's shoulders.

"Our history teacher is gay?" Lance added.

Matt sighed, frowning at Pidge. "Is that what you were screaming over?"

Pidge crossed her arms and squared her shoulders defiantly. "Some situations call for screaming like a banshee."

Matt's face dropped, his eyes narrowing. "And this was one of them?"

"Of course it is!" Lance cut in. "You and Mr. Shirogane are dating!"

"What are the odds?" Hunk laughed.

Mr. Shirogane cut in before Matt could. "Matt and I have been best friends since we were kids. We went to high school together. And, please," he gave a gentle smile, "call me Shiro."

Matt looked at Shiro with narrowed eyes, pointing over his shoulder at the three teenagers. "You complain about these three all the time. Why would you tell them to call you by your nickname?"

Shiro kept smiling. "They're good enough students, and they're Pidge's best friends. I just haven't met them outside of school before."

"It's nice to meet you, Shiro," Hunk beamed.