7

Taehyung woke up to the sound of Jungkook groaning in pain. The younger had gotten worse. Taehyung had almost forgotten about his sickness because of recent events, but Jungkook's immune system apparently had not. His skin was as hot as fire, his heartbeat was fast and his breathing was shallow and ragged. Taehyung sat up immediately and grabbed a cold water bottle, placing it against the younger's neck.

"How did you get this bad overnight?" He asked the younger gently.

Jungkook sucked in a breath as he looked at Taehyung.

"I-I'll be fine," He whispered softly.

"Stop it. Suck it up and tell me what hurts so I can help you," Taehyung told him firmly.

Jungkook let out a pained and exasperated sigh. He was annoyed with the world. Why did he have to become so weak now? Why couldn't he just get better already? He decided there was nothing to do but give in.

"My head and my stomach."

The younger's voice was hoarse and tense, laced with distress. Taehyung nodded and grabbed the bottle of pain medicine, looking at the dosage. He took a few pills out and popped them into Jungkook's mouth, who grimaced as he swallowed.

"Does it hurt to swallow?" Taehyung asked worriedly.

Jungkook nodded.

"Okay, hang in there," Taehyung whispered.

He shuffled around and put Jungkook's head in his lap, gently massaging the younger's temples with his cold fingers. Jungkook closed his eyes and lay there in silence as the older began to hum a lullaby. After a few minutes, Jungkook spoke.

"Tae, leave me. I'll only slow you down. You need to be able to pack up and leave any time in case the ones without free will close in on you. You can't do that if you have to take care of me."

Taehyung looked down at Jungkook in shock.

"Jungkook, I would never, I- I love you. No matter what I'm not going to leave you."

Jugkook chuckled softly, smiling weakly as he reached up and gently brushed Taehyung's face with his fingers.

"I love you too much to weigh you down. I couldn't live with myself if they got you because of me."

Taehyung swallowed hard and ran his forearm across his eyes.

"Quit acting like you're gonna die or something like that! You're gonna be fine, Jungkook, you'll get better soon," Taehyung said softly, tears escaping his eyes.

"What if I don't?"

Taehyung leaned down and kissed the younger's forehead, causing the latter to smile weakly.

"You will be. I'll make sure of that."

Suddenly, Jungkook passed out. Taehyung gasped and tried to shake him awake, but Jungkook remained unconscious. Cursing, Taehyung slipped away from the younger and poured some water on Jungkook's face and clothes to cool him off. After doing all he could, he turned and ran for the edge of the woods.

Taehyung had never run that hard or that carelessly in his life. He didn't stop until he was all the way across town. It was a miracle no troops spotted him. He had made it to the pharmacy in under 20 minutes. He dashed in and grabbed a water bottle, breaking the seals and chugging them before vaulting the counter. He went straight to the prescription medicine. Grabbing every cure for the flu they had in stock, he ran back home.

He was back at the camp before he knew it, and found the semi-damp Jungkook waking up.

"Quick which one of these have you never taken before?" Taehyung demanded, not waiting a second longer to shove the various bottles in Jungkook's face.