23

"Dance with me," Taehyung's deep voice ran through the still air.

Jungkook found it nearly impossible to look directly at Taehyung's face, but he knew it was him.

"There is no music to dance to," Jungkook replied, a shy smile creasing his face.

"Dance with me," Taehyung repeated, "you won't regret it."

Jungkook found himself grasping Taehyung's waist and twirling against his own will, his feet moving on their own accord.  He couldn't stop the dancing, it just came naturally. Although he wasn't in control, he found himself going with the flow, leaning into his outward twirls as Taehyung spun him wildly. He quite enjoyed it.

"I will always dance with you," Taehyung told him, his voice clear and even- despite his rapid movements.

"What do you mean?" Jungkook found himself trying to ask, but his voice faltered.

"Whenever you like," Taehyung whispered.

His touch was light as air despite how tightly he must've been holding on to keep Jungkook in his grasp while spinning him like that. Jungkook realized the older wasn't holding onto him anymore.

"Taehyung, where are you going?" He tried to say, but his voice was a faint whisper.

"I can't dance with you much longer, Jungkook," Taehyung's voice echoed, sounding faint and far away, "my time for dancing is almost up."

Even without a dance partner, Jungkook was spinning and twirling and leaping to a silent beat his body moving on its own. He wished his legs would stop for a moment, he wanted to slow down. He went faster and faster, losing any control he originally had as the swirled through the room, Taehyung's standing figure at the edge flashing before his eyes for an instant until he was going so fast he couldn't see anything anymore.

"You said you would dance with me!" he screamed.

"If it's you or me, it will always be you, Jungkook. You always come first."

"What do you mean?" he cried.

"If I have to stop dancing so you can go on, I will. Always."

"Taehyung, I don't want to dance without you!" He closed his eyes to stop the dizziness from making him sick.

"Don't be sad, Jungkookie. It will only hurt a little while. You will learn to dance without me."

"But we dance so well together, so synchronized, like we know each other's next move. Like we were meant to dance together..." Jungkook wasn't screaming anymore, just whispering hoarsely.

"You'll find someone else who dances with you like that," Taehyung sounded farther away now.

"But there is no one else."

Jungkook dared to open his eyes. He found himself standing still, staring at a wooden bridge which seemed impossibly high up, connecting two cliffs which seemed to go on forever.

"There is no one else," he realized, "I'm all alone without you."

No one responded. There was no one to respond. He was the only living thing on this lonely, dusty cliffside, looking at this wooden bridge.

The bridge creaked and rattled, but it didn't fall. It didn't fall.

Jungkook awoke in his bed, the first light if dawn seeping through the window. He rolled over to face Taehyung and grabbed his hand, intertwining their fingers. The older was mostly awake already anyway.