20

[a/n: Jungkook can now sort of walk but he most often uses his crutches just btw]

Jungkook and Taehyung were out in the garden when they heard a familiar voice call to them.

"Boys, could you please come inside for a moment?"

The two turned to Jin, who seemed to be very anxious, and followed him into the house.

Inside, Namjoon was listening to someone over the land-line phone, looking down at the floor. He licked his lips when he saw Jungkook, shifting uncomfortably.

"Yes, yes... could you tell me which one?"

There was a short silence.

"Oh, of course. Yes, yes I'll tell him right away."

Another short silence.

"Okay, thank you ma'am. Bye."

He hung up the phone and looked at Jungkook, stuffing one hand into his jacket pocket and bringing one up to scratch the back of his neck.

"Jungkook... I have news."

"Okay..." Jungkook prompted nervously.

"It's... It's your mother. She's at the jail. Apparently, she admitted to everything she did with tying you to the railroad and now she's refusing to cooperate with the police until she speaks to you."

Jungkook stiffened. He sat in silence for a long time.

"I have nothing to say to her, she has nothing to say that I care about," He said finally, bitterness seeping through his short words.

"She claims she has something important to say to you..." Namjoon replied, awkwardly looking away then back at him again, "Something to do with your father."

Jungkook sucked in a breath. He held it for a moment, then slowly let it out.

"Fine. I'll give her five minutes."

***

In the car on the way to the jail, Jungkook sat stiffly, glaring out the window. Taehyung took his hand to calm him down, and Junkook's eyes softened for a moment as he interlaced their fingers.

When they got to the police station, Jungkook gave his name and the situation to the front desk lady, though she already knew who he was and why he was there. She gave him a visitor pass, giving Taehyung one as well when he insisted on going with him. Afterward, they followed a bulky looking officer to a dim room painted fully in white.

Jungkook's mother sat in a chair near a metal table, in handcuffs and a gag. The guard removed the gag and retreated to stand by the doorway, watching the encounter, specifically the woman, with an unreadable expression.

"Jungkook," the woman said, an unnerving smile creasing her pale face, "How are you?"

"Why did you want to talk to me?" Jungkook grunted, getting straight to the point so he could get away from her as soon as possible.

"How rude. Well, if you won't have a civilized conversation, I suppose I'll just say it, then."

Jungkook tapped his foot, waiting for her to spit it out.

"Since I can't be a proper parent to you, somebody has to. That's why I've-"

"I already have parents," Jungkook cut her off, "Jin and Namjoon are all I need. They've done a better job parenting me for a week than you did in two years."

The officer in the back of the room made an 'o' face, lifting a flat hand to his mouth. Jungkook's and Taehyung's backs were turned, so only Jungkook's mother saw the mocking gesture. She shot him a glare but otherwise chose to ignore him.