not one of the moving guys

Sam

My work uniform probably makes me the most unattractive human on planet Earth. Something about the white polo with "SUNNY'S" written across it in big yellow block letters (not to mention it's two sizes too big) gives me the feeling that I'd turn a man off. The added yellow baseball cap doesn't help either.

"Sam! Pay attention!" my Aunt Linda yells from behind me as I rest my head on the heal of my hand.

"There's literally no one here," I mumble in response. She probably doesn't hear me as she scurries back into the kitchen.

You see, working for my Aunt isn't too bad, until she starts making me work long hours and volunteers me to take others's shifts. I can't complain too much though...because it's the only good place to get a job around here. Plus it's in walking distance. My cousins used to work for the diner, but as they got older they've moved on. It can get boring, to say the least.

I perk up out of habit as the bell dings to let me know when a customer walks in. I'm relieved when I see Dara and Michael enter. Their hands are glued together...as they usually are.

"Hey guys," I smile.

Dara dramatically flips her long brown hair aside and greets me with a cheery "hello."

"Hey dude," Michael says waving his hand.

"You guys hungry?" Usually when the two of them come in, I sneak out some food so they don't have to pay. The three of us have spent so much time in this diner together over the years.

"Nah we already ate. Just wanted to stop by and see if you got off yet," Dara answers.

"I have...like two hours left," I sigh.

Before they can respond, another ding sounds as a guy and three little kids enter.

Dara and Michael step away from the counter to let the customer through. My aunt hates when they just hang around while I'm working. I prepare to say the required "hello, welcome to Sunny's," but when I recognize the face of the approaching customer, I suddenly can't speak.

It's the goddamn guy from next door.

"Hi," the guy says as he picks up a little boy. "Can you see the pictures from here, Timmy?"

"Uh, yeah," the boy, Timmy replies. "I want that mac and cheese." He looks like he's three or four years old, and I cant help but smile. Kids are cute, okay?

"Me too," another boy replies.

"Me three," says the other one. They look like they're probably twins.

"Okay then," says the guy as he takes out his wallet. Okay, so he's not one of the moving guys. He definitely has to be their older brother. He looks around my age.

The guy glances up at me and back to the menu, but does a sort of double take and stares at me for a millisecond.

Fuck. I haven't even said anything, I'm so awkward. God, he probably thinks there's something wrong with me. But he is so damn beautiful I can't help but remain a bit speechless. He's got those hipster glasses with the half frames... and his face is just.... just perfect. I usually don't waste my time swooning over probable straight boys, but I can't help it with this dude.

"Okay. Three Mac and cheeses. And uh.. you know what.." the boy pauses, studying the menu. "Make that four." He smiles confidently, clearly not understanding the effect he's having on me at the moment.

"Alright," I squeak out. "Anything to drink?"

He looks down to ask the kids what they want. "Three lemonades and one water," he says, casually looking back up and resting his hands on the counter.

"Is that everything?" I ask, this time a little less wimp-like. He nods in response. "That will be fifteen-fifty."

He opens his wallet and pulls out a ten, then after a moment of searching, he leans his head back in frustration. "Shit!" He looks back up at me and begins to speak again, "Hey, I thought I put another ten in here but I didn't. I'm gonna run back to my house and grab it," he points behind him. "It'll take me like two minutes." He looks to the kids, "C'mon guys."

"Wait," I suddenly blurt out. "It's okay, I got you. I'll cover the rest."

   Oh dear God, what am I doing?

The boy looks at me with a shocked expression. "Oh no, you don't have to do that-"

"Seriously," I cut him off. "I got it. No big deal."

He looks at me still with a bit of confusion, "Are you sure?"

"Yep," I say, taking a five out of my pocket and putting it in the register.

I hold out my hand and he hesitantly gives me the ten. I'm sort of shaking still, but my body freezes when our hands briefly touch as I take the money. "You really didn't have to do that, thanks man," he says genuinely. He smiles and it kinda hurts my tummy.

"No problem at all. The food will be out in a few minutes," I say a little too quickly. I suddenly realize how hot my face is. I must have been blushing like crazy. God, I'm so embarrassed.

"Thanks again," he waves, following the kids as they pull him into a booth.