Hetero Shit

Leo

"Is it okay if I sit here?" I wake up from the daze I was in as a soft voice sounds from behind me.

   "Oh, yeah, sure," I stammer, removing my backpack from the seat beside me. The girl that sits down is absolutely beautiful. Long sandy brown hair and blue eyes.

  "Thanks," she smiles, revealing perfectly straight teeth and dimples.

   As class goes on, I can barely pay attention to the lecture. For the past week and a half since moving in, I can't stop thinking about Sam. Anytime I'm not doing something to distract myself, my thoughts are trying to put together the puzzle pieces regarding Sam's avoidance of me. He only sent me one text apologizing because he's been stressed out and busy. No other explanation. I can't help but feel frustrated and put off. I'm so tired of whatever shit this is. Fucking hell.

   "Are you alright?" My thoughts are disrupted by the girl beside me. I look around realizing that everyone's leaving, and I'm the only one still sitting. Jesus fuck.

   "Um, yeah. Yeah," I stutter, getting up from my seat.

   "You don't look like it," she says. I'm not sure if I should be offended or flattered by her concern.

   "Just a lot on my mind, ya know."

   "Oh," she shrugs. "I'm Molly, by the way."

   "Leo," I nod.

   "What's your major?"

   "I'm here for swimming. Also trying to major in exercise science."

   "Oh, that's really cool! I used to swim in high school!"

   I hold the door for her as we exit the building and we continue walking.

   "Really? That's awesome." I'm genuinely impressed. I love meeting fellow swimmers. 

   "Yeah, I wasn't that good, but it was really fun," she smiles.

   "Aw I'm sure you weren't that bad!"

   Molly laughs, "Are you heading anywhere right now?"

   "Uh nope."

   "Wanna eat lunch with me?" she asks, pointing to the dining hall.

   I contemplate this for a moment. I really suck at reading girls and understanding their intentions. I can't tell if she's being friendly, or if she's interested...I don't know. I mean, not that I'm opposed to going out with anyone, it's just that my brain is still so stuck on Sam. It doesn't make any sense, I know. But hanging out this one time with Molly won't do any harm anyway. "Sure," I reply.

   We separate to go get our food, then reunite when she joins me at the table I pick out.

   "So what's your major, then?" I ask, genuinely curious.

   "Journalism."

   "Oh, my friend is majoring in that as well." Referring to Sam makes my heart ache, especially when I'm not sure if he even wants to be considered my friend.