mom

Sam

We should do something later. still gotta makeup for that shit party;)

The last text I got from Leo. I keep reading it over and over. It has been three days since I haven't replied to it.

I'm obsessing over this single text because I'm trying to figure out if he's pitying me. I don't want to be pitied. I don't want him to hang out with me because he feels guilty if he doesn't. So I decide to subtly avoid him. If that's possible.

When I get home late on this quiet Tuesday night, my heart drops at the sight in front of me.

   The lights are off and my mom isn't anywhere to be found. She's in a really bad state, it has only gotten worse over the past  few weeks, so I'm really freaking worried.

   "Mom!" I call through the dark house. I turn on the lights in the kitchen, then the living room and hallway.

   My pulse is racing and I stop dead in my tracks when I realize the light in the bathroom is already on.

  Shit.

   I burst through the door without bothering to knock. Before me lays my mom on the ground in her nightgown. I see bottles of empty pills sitting at her feet. Again.

   "Mom!" I lean down and turn her face towards me. She's breathing. Thank fucking God.

   I try to shake her awake, but she's not budging. "Shit shit shit shit," I whisper, digging for my phone in my pocket.

   I quickly stab in the numbers nine-one-one.

   A woman answers. "Nine-one-one, what's you're emergency?"

   "My mom, I found her, I think she overdosed," I choke out, trying not to cry. My breathing is fast and I'm scared. Really scared.

   The operator asks me questions and I answer them. I can barely hear myself speak... my head is pounding.

   The next ten minutes go by foggily. I'm standing still absorbed with shock when the paramedics get there. All I see is flashes of people in uniforms telling me what to do and a police officer taking me outside. I've seen this all before.

  The officer asks if I'm alright. "yeah," I mutter blankly. "Is my mom going to be alright?"

"We know she has a pulse. They'll take care of everything. I can take you to the hospital." The officer puts his hand as if to comfort me, but I don't feel it.