My Neighbor

Leo

"You okay, Man?"

   I don't know what this kid is doing, but he looks distressed. He's just laying in his bushes with his hands over his face and his knees bent.

   I clearly scared the shit out of him because he quickly sits up, dusting himself off. His back is to me. "Oh I'm f-fine. I'm fine-"

   He stops his sentence abruptly as my face comes into his view and his comes into mine.

   It's the cute Sam from Sunny's. The one who helped pay for my meal, the one who spilled my Mac n cheese all over the floor. The one whose cute cheeks got red and  splotchy when I looked into his blue eyes. I think Cute Sam is my neighbor.

   I also think Cute Sam might be a little crazy.

   "It's you," I grin. My voice sounds with a little bit too much excitement.

   Sam looks at me with wide eyes. His cheeks are already burning. "I- I'm sorry," he stammers, backing away in what looks like pajama pants decorated with characters from that Disney movie Inside Out. Odd. But cute.

   Not wanting him to be scared shitless and run away, I decide to bring up something his mom told me.  Sarah, Jessica, and I brought cookies over to the house. My mom felt bad for not meeting all the neighbors yet, so we brought them baked goods. That solves shit quickly.

  "So, you're going to the University of Michigan?" I blurt as Sam turns to leave.

   He stops and looks at me with a puzzled expression. This boy is so damn cute, but I feel bad for unintentionally making him uncomfortable. He looks like I shoved a plate of Mac n cheese up his ass.

   "Your mom told me. And I'm gonna be up  there too," I add when he doesn't respond. I give him a gentle smile- I really don't want him to be intimidated.

   Sam steps closer to me. "Really?"

   "Yep. Crazy coincidence, huh?"

   "Yeah," Sam speaks softly and forces a bit of a smile.

   I find myself not knowing what the hell to say next so I just stand there hoping a miracle takes place and he proposes. I'm getting heterosexual vibes, though.

   I try stealing glances at Sam as we're standing in silence. He's avoiding my stares, but for a brief second we make eye contact. "So why were you just laying on the ground in agony a minute ago?" I decide to just go for it and ask.

   "I was in a crisis," he says blankly.

   I just stare at him for a moment because what the fuck does one say to that?

   "I'm kidding," he chuckles lightly. A smile just a tiny bit bigger than the last appears on his face.

    Okay so he's funny, not weird.

    I'm about to comment back, but surprisingly this little fucker speaks first. "I fell out the window."

   "You fell out your window? The window that is two inches from the ground?"

   "Yes."

   "Okay, I still don't believe you," I smirk, trying to tease him.

  Sam just shrugs, and I can't tell if he's being serious or still fucking around.  But I don't really care because it's funny as hell.

A moment of silence passes by. It's one of those silences that make me nervous. And why don't I know what to say next? I'm a pretty badass conversationist- I don't know what's going on here.

"Well I'll see you around," I say, giving him a salute. I don't know why I did that. Who the fuck salutes?  "I told my mom I'd make dinner for the kids," I frown, walking back towards my house. "You're welcome to come over and swim. Or just hang, anytime."

   Sam sends a little wave. His cheeks still have a pink tint and his toothless smile is genuine.

  When I get to my front porch I realize I've forgotten something. "MY NAME'S LEO BY THE WAY."

Hope he heard me.

——————————————————————————————-

   After I feed the kids a rough batch of spaghetti, I tell them to go pick out a movie. My parents won't be home until later, and I cannot deal with these little shits for much longer. Forcing them to sit on the couch and watch a movie is the best option.

   I go run up the stairs to take a quick shower and I trip over a few boxes on my way. My family is one messy ass bunch. There's so much random shit we have to unpack still...everything is all over the place.

   When I return to the bottom of the stairs after showering, I ask what we're watching. 

   My tummy does a weird little flip when Timmy yells out, "INSIDE OUT."  I plop down on the sofa and smirk to myself.