Chapter 20: Taken

Half an hour later I was in a better physical and mental state. Ash, one of the lifeguards assisted Griffin in removing the jellyfish tentacles from my legs and disinfecting it. Skylar had come over immediately chewing Ash out on how he couldn't do his job properly.  She had made sure my breathing was stabilized and that my eyes had finally opened before she left me in Griffin's hands which was beyond odd. Didn't she just say to stop letting him distract me?

Ash scowled Griffin on peeing on it since it caused more harm than good. Apparently, they knew each other.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't get to you sooner." Ash, the lifeguard of Hawaiian descent, apologized as he bandaged up my red streak infested leg after he had applied a cooling white cream. He had long wavy hair that went to his shoulders and his skin was of a pretty sun kissed hue.

"You didn't get to her at all." Griffin smirked from beside me. Ash winced at the revelation. " I personally think you should be demoted."

Ash gave a roll of his eyes and then gave me another apologetic smile.

"Aleast I didn't urinate on my girlfriend." Ash retorted with a smirk.

"Touche." I beamed.

"Tell me if you need anything at all, I'll make sure to personally get it for you as an apology. Also make sure to keep stretching your leg muscle so it doesn't seize up again." He smiled.

"It's good to see you, Griff..." His dark eyes shot to me for a fleeting moment and then he went back to his post.

"To be fair, I have bled, came and cried on you. So, urinating on you would've been the next in line."

I rolled my eyes. Griffin seemed to have that affect on people today.

"You're always there when I need you. " I whispered looking at the sand between us as I ran my fingers through it.

"I guess I'm your guardian angel." I could hear the smile in his voice. I looked up at him as his golden brown hair fell in his face.  We were a few inches apart. His scent swirled around me mixing with the smell of the sea.

"We...just said our permanent goodbyes."

"Yet, here we are." He beamed, watching the movement of the slight waves in front of us. I tried to stretch out my leg resulting in a sharp pain slicing up my appendage. I hissed biting my bottom lip.

"The pain should be completely gone in half an hour." Griffin explained lightly.

"How would you know?"

"When I was ten...after my father ...died. I used to run away from home to this beach. What a coincidence right?" He began, his eyes never leaving the glistening undulations before us.

"I used to swim alot which was pretty stupid really... where did I think I was going?..." He snickered lightly, his eyes running over the glistening shimmers. My surprised eyes met his nonchalant ones.

Was he telling me about his life? Why now? He said that he...we couldn't.

"Griffin..." I started staring at him.

"Yep, jellyfish bait?" He smirked. I couldn't speak, all I did was stare. I was so confused. Last night we had literally ripped ourselves away from each other for this very reason. He didn't want to bring me into his life.

He leaned into me and trailed his thumb down my face then across my lips with an unreadable expression on his face.

"Anyway, when I swam out I didn't always meet the friendliest creatures."